The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2391 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/15/07
A beautiful story! I loved especially the flashbacks, which revealed gradually the nature of the main character's "heart-wrenching" background. This unusual title sparked my curiosity, by the way.

Very moving message. Also great imagery. My favorite line: "The keys were a mass of chocolate and vanilla pudding." What a creative, original description of black and white piano keys!
03/16/07
This title is just perfect for the story. Moving, great characterization--I could see the whole evening unfold from the dress to the mass of keys, the grief. Very, very well done!
03/16/07
Lovely story. You expressed the depth of emotion very well.
03/17/07
What I really liked was the feeling that came through for me that she was kind of dealing with her own "demons" and everyone else was on a different page without really understanding what she was dealing with. It was kind of like there were two stories being told. Good job.
03/17/07
This is poignantly beautiful. I'm so glad she played well, putting her heart into the music. Well done, awesome writer.
03/18/07
There were a few bits that were unclear here to me. I think it would have all come out had you been able to expand more on the father/mother/daughter triangle. It was very well written though. Lots of emotion - you portrayed them well.
03/20/07
A bittersweet story, movingly written.
A well told story! The last line was the most poignant of all.
You filled this with such emotion, that I couldn't stop reading from beginning to end. The last line is perfect.
03/20/07
The emotion of this piece was very powerful. I was captivated all the way through and am left wanting to know more. The title is perfect for this story!
03/20/07
I can barely see to type through my tears. This piece hit me hard. My mom was an accomplished pianist, and I feel so inadequate playing her baby grand piano that was left to me way too soon. (My parents died in a car accident.) When I play, I picture my mom playing with me. (And thank God, my dad enjoyed my playing too -- but he really loved listening to my mom.) Thank you for this -- it's another baby step in my healing process.
You so skillfully put the reader into the MC's shoes that I literally had to give myself time to regain my own focus after reading this moving story. I could feel the gown, the piano keys, see the darkened audience area, and I even, though you didn't mention scent, could smell the auditorium because of the strength of your descriptions. Wonderful writing!
03/20/07
You clearly portrayed the intense, deep emotional conflict of the main character! This was a very gripping story, and I would have liked to know more about her strained relationship with her father. Excellent writing! :)
03/20/07
I loved that you did not give this a perfect ending and kept with the compexity of emotions. I really enjoyed this from beginning to end. Very touching.
Wonderful filled with well-written, honest emotions. I particulary liked what your mom said "your hands will know..."

Maybe I missed the reason for the father's bitterness, but hopefully the music helped to heal the rift - I have a good feeling that it did.

03/20/07
Amazingly intense and emotional. I was swept away completely, from beginning to end.
I also liked the ending. Everything doesn't end perfectly or happily ever after. An ending like yours gives us much to ponder, question and make our own predictions. I also liked that she walked right past her father. Not that I condoned it, but it was realistic and was a natural reaction that followed the story line. Great job.
03/21/07
What a moving and captivating piece. This one touches the reader's heart and to me, that's always a good thing. Great job.
03/21/07
So very lovely and such deeply expressed emotions. I felt her dilemma, and her heartache in your words. Thanks for sharing this
A very well written emotional piece. I enjoyed the read, from begining to end. Great job.
03/24/07
Wow! The emotion is still hanging in my room. A heart-wrenching story, beautifully told. Your talent shows.
03/24/07
P.S. Thanks for your comments on my story.
Wow!... double wow!!
I am tucking this in my favorites.
Your writing flowed so smoothly from Jen's thoughts to the concert hall.
I am completely affected by your story.
I picture tears running down Jesus' face as Jen and her father start the healing process through her music.
Thank you for the gift of your story.