The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2812 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/14/06
oh wow, the innocence of a child...it made me smile...and I had promised not to respond to any stories until after class...

Thank you, I needed to be reminded that there is still innocence in this world...
09/14/06
I have tears in my eyes - what a beautiful story. Thank you.
Is it possible to smile and cry at the same time? I'm not sure, but I think I'm about to find out. Children have always had a special place in my heart, and this story touches that place.
Thank you for sharing this heart-warming, and heart-rending piece.

God bless,

Kevin
09/15/06
What a lovely story. This tugged at my heart but left me smiling. Beautifully written: "I gather sadness around me like a shawl." I liked how you showed the passage of time with the ice melting in her glass. The ending was a really nice touch. Great work!
09/15/06
Kept me interested throughout and loved the ending - yup, she found a baby alright!
09/15/06
This is wonderful, touching and sweet. Loved the ending.
09/15/06
What a sweet, sweet story of innocence and healing! You did an amazing job of characterization here, and of displaying our wonderful God through these characters. Loved it!
09/18/06
In the 4th paragraph is an "is" instead of and "it"; not anything shaking if in Beginners, but in Masters? Just kidding. Loved your wonderful story of childish innocense. Nicely written story, also. Good Job.
09/18/06
Just wonderful! So touching and heartwarming. This is absolutely lovely, and it really touched my heart.
09/19/06
This was beautiful. It worked wonderfully in present tense - made it even more touching, if that's possible, but I was right there with Mom and felt her pain as well as her love for Maggie. Truly a masterful entry.
09/19/06
Oh Jan ... how precious! I rarely cry, but there are tears in my eyes. Such a beautifully told story. Excellent, but then I would expect nothing less from you! :)
Magnificent! Loved references to "veiled conversation" and "imperfectly masked sorrow" as well as your disclosure of the "baby!" This proves, once again, that childlikeness is a virtue. :-)
09/19/06
Wonderful... tears and smiles. The only improvement would be to capitalize Papa, Mama, Grandma in Maggie's paragraph, as they used as 'names.' Other than that, endearing, a gentle reminder of the innocence of childhood... that what God gives "is enough..."
This is precious & masterfully written (as always!)
09/20/06
I was enraptured through out
the whole story and when Maggie mentioned the cabbage leaf, I was undone by the beauty and grace of a child. What a tender story full of redeeming love, not to mention the wonderful descriptive language. Simply beautiful!!!!!!!!!
You made me cry. What a beautiful story. I'm going to send a link of this story to a friend in the same boat as your MC.
This is beautiful. Really hits home with me. My daughter was recently diagnosed with a condition that keeps her from getting pregnant. The doctors say there are ways to get around it, but it has been an emotional road.
I enjoyed this very much. The apt title drew me in, and I was delighted by the beautiful, innocent child.
09/20/06
A wonderful and creative use of the topic word. That tugged at the heart strings!
09/21/06
This was just beautiful. So touching....... WELL DONE. Wish I could say some more constructive comment - but in my humble opinion, it is quite perfect.
A good entry, Jan. I always enjoy your stories and this is certainly a blessing to read. Congratulations on your well-deserved win.