The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2130 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/14/08
Love the voice, and the lesson, and the scripture.

Okay, I have to admit, I laughed out loud when I read the scripture verse: Forgetting what is "behind" ... I couldn't help but think of the Kick-Yourself-In-The-Rear machine. Very funny.

Great job with the topic -- spot on.
The exxagerations MADE the story. I loved the "thumbs up" from the teenage boys.Great word choices , (bills rained on my feet). A great read and wonderfully satisfying story. ( I'm surprised I haven't been hauled off the jail for some of my typos! I definitely related!)
02/14/08
Who can't identify with this. Great writing, great wit, great idea.
02/15/08
Oh my goodness, I was falling off my chair with laughter. I love this piece! I will read it over again when I'm having a bad day. WAY fun and well done! Oh, and Sheri's comment cracked me up, too!
The exaggeration in this humorous story is just the right touch; yet the message is perfectly clear.
02/16/08
I got quite a KICK out of this! LoL. Great voice, great story, great humor. And a great ending.
02/16/08
This is great! Love the behind-kicker. The "grins" and "thumbs-up" from the teenagers was hilarious. Your creativity and humor are perfect in this piece. Now, I'm going back to proof-read this to make sure I didn't add any unwanted words. :)
02/16/08
Clever and fun - is this true? If it is, I GOTTA find out who you are so I can read your column monthly - and if it isn't, you certainly came across as authentic! Wonderful.
This was a hoot. Love the voice, too. Thanks for the smiles.
02/18/08
Funny story. I enjoyed this.
02/18/08
I'm laughing like a crazy woman, glad the house is empty! Too funny, Jan! Great writing, as always and I love the lesson to be learned hidden inside!
Laury
This is hilarious, and yet you managed to bring it around to serious and end with scripture. A winner for sure!
Loved even the play on words in the scripture you chose, i love how the exagerations made it apparent that we all tend to blow things out of proportion.
02/18/08
Funny and creative with a message. Great job once again. Instead of putting the machine away though, she might want to keep it to get children and hubby to do things. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants. Thank you for the kick in the pants reminding me I don't need to kick myself in the pants.
God bless.
02/18/08
This is such a fun read, and the humor made me laugh out loud! You nailed the topic, as usual - and I loved the ending.
02/18/08
Very funny - loved it.
You captured my attention, and personality to a tee. This was a really fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Great writing!
02/18/08
I especially loved the section where her imagation ran wild as she feared what repercussions could result from the error.
02/19/08
Rolling on the floor funny!!
You have a golden touch for telling a great story!
You had me going. I 'knew' something was up but wasn't quite sure 'what' until I got to the perfectly worded "Well…okay, I can’t sustain this any longer."

Great story ... perhaps you were inspired by my previous entry "Because of One Little Typo"??? JK. LOL. Great story!!!
I can really relate to this, Jan! Not so long ago, a local Christian magazine published a piece of mine, and made quite a few typos in the process. Just like your MC I was letting my imagination work overtime. I love the humour in her exaggerated thoughts. Very well done.

Where did you say I could get one of those boot machine thingys?
02/20/08
Jan, is there ANYTHING you can't write?! A devotional! Funny, smart, clever, and right on target and topic. I love this. (The "bottom kicking" company must be making a mint with those boots-everyone I know has at least one!)
02/20/08
Jan, I was trying to outguess your ending thinking after the airplane stunt it MUST be a dream, but you clarified it and I loved the surprise. Great idea for the topic... and a little bit of a humulity lesson mixed in... ! :) enjoyed the read
02/20/08
LaughOutLoud funny! As I was reading I was thinking "This has GOT TO BE a really bad dream!" but I loved how you ended it. NOW there is no use crying over spilt milk on the magazine with the typo! Masterful.
STILL laughing. What a great piece. I had wanted to think of something funny to write under topic as it lends itself to humor. But, alas, I couldn't think of anything. You did a great job, Jan! Love it all.
ROFL! I thought from the title that Gloria was an elderly patron that would give her some help-or headache-with her article. The hilarious look with the swinging boot though...yeah, that was pure genius. Very fun read and I liked the ending where she got the monthly column. ^_^
02/21/08
This is the line that made me giggle: "Adolescent boys gave me the “thumbs up”.

Thanks for sharing your talent.
02/21/08
I'm still laughing. I cringed at Gloria and all the things that "happened" to her. Of course I would NEVER think those things if that happened to me. Oh, wait. I do have one of those "Kick-in-the-Rear" machines somewhere...
02/21/08
Hahaha. You did this one so well. Thanks for the smile. :)
Primo construction. Your writing voice is so confident. It really helped deliver this creative piece. And thank you for your comment on my poem.
02/21/08
Congratulations on your EC!!!! So glad this one will be in print....and I love seeing my Mama's name in the title!!!!! :)
02/21/08
Jan, Congratulations on your much deserved EC. This is one of my favorites this week--I love the voice.
Great job and a well deserved win/placement. You continue to inspire.
***Congrats, Aunt Jan!*** ^_^
Wonderfully written article. I love the humor. It's something what an overactive imagination could do, isn't it?
Great job!