The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1298 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/03/12
This was a great rendition of how these poor souls live so happily in the dumps of South American countries....and it touched my heart so much.

I loved the part of the young woman comparing "her dump" at home to the real dump in these children's lives.

You have made me realize how rich I really am.
Beautiful story. May we all realize how much we have.
05/04/12
Terrific article, so full of life and trruth. I think our young adults would have a different take on life if part of their high school education included a trip to a Third World country before graduation. So many have no idea how most of the world lives. Thanks for sharing this so beautifully vivid account.
Hi -

Thank you

This is indeed a rich piece.

GOD truly ministered...
05/05/12
Wow - totally powerful! Nothing more to say. I really am impressed at this entire entry and the realistic MC. Great job.

God Bless~
05/07/12
Back in 2010, I was in a similar situation while on a trip to Kenya, visiting a dump in the captital city. It really does change your whole outlook. I thought the line about Riley's remembering how she didn't invite friends over because she thought she lived in a dump was golden.

A very well crafted piece with a beautiful message. Nice work!
05/07/12
This is a great combination of fiction and truth. More than that, it's a wonderful illustration of spiritual truth. Being grateful for our "riches" and having compassion on those in desperate situations shows the heart of Jesus. Good writing.
05/08/12
Great job! Wonderful reminder that God is everywhere, even in the dump, and that He wants us to be there helping and ministering too.
05/08/12
I loved your article. It was very touching and moving all the way through. You did a great job of showing us about the mission field and how some people have to live. Thanks for your story.
05/08/12
I left my red ink pen at the dump; i didn't need it anymore.

Excellent job. Thank you for sharing this.
05/08/12
SO interesting!
Wonderful story/account!
Loved it!
05/08/12
A very well-written account of the poorest being the richest in the treasures that really matter.In a paradoxical perspective, even a dump can be a palace when the Kingdom of God is in its midst.
~Cathy~
05/09/12
A moving story that touches the heart. How often we fail to realize the riches we possessed until we see those who do not have even the basic essentials. May we do our part to meet the needs of the many, not just physically but also spiritually, and share with them the riches the Lord has given us.

Thank you for sharing this, Shann. God bless.

05/10/12
I loved this story. My own children have gone on mission trips to third world countries and have seen and ministered to families living on the dump sites. It gave them a great appreciation for how blessed we are. Thanks for sharing. God bless!
05/10/12
Congratulations on a wonderful story and the well deserved "Highly Commended" recognition.
05/10/12
Congratulations on your EC! It is a great entry, and you deserved it.
05/10/12
Congratulations on getting Highly Commended!
05/10/12
Shann, I meant to say Congrats on your HC (but I think it could have been close to an EC)
05/10/12
I always enjoy Riley's adventures, and this one is especially touching. Her heart and compassion and sensitivity toward the voice of God really shine through. And the fact that it's based on a true story makes it even more special. Makes me wonder if there was a real, live "Kelly" in your daughter's group ...

Congrats on getting Highly Commended! Wonderful story.
05/10/12
Congratulations and God Bless~
05/10/12
Oh, this one touched me deeply. My eyes are still wet! I love how you showed perspective from the mouths of the three main characters.

You moved me. I'm heading over to outofthedump.org now..

Congratulations on your placing!
05/10/12
Congratulations Shann on your HC. This is a wonderful and moving entry.
05/10/12
That must have been a powerful, life-changing experience for your daughter, Shann. I loved your message that shines through.
05/10/12
And super congrats on your "highly commended," Shann.
05/10/12
Congratulations Shann! Well done!
05/11/12
Congratulations Shann! So pleased for you! Good job!
05/11/12
Congratulations, Shann, on such a deserving story. It is profoundly moving and I hope you are able to share this widely. Perhaps this mission project could use your story in their marketing? We are so very rich.
05/11/12
Congratulations, Shann, on such a deserving story. It is profoundly moving and I hope you are able to share this widely. Perhaps this mission project could use your story in their marketing? We are so very rich.
Shann, so beautifully written, expressing and exposing heart matters. Congratulations, well deserved.
05/12/12
Congratulations on your HC. Well done, you took me right along with you.
Congrats on your EC. You've really earned it with this piece. I'm sincerely moved by your writing and the story you've shared. Wow. Well done and bravo!