The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1021 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/25/14
Excellent writing.
Well done.

God bless~
04/26/14
This is a really good story, and the writing is excellent. Maybe too excellent. You do such a good job of establishing Josh's self-centeredness (to the point that he is ignoring all of Catherine's wishes for the proposal and wedding) that there is almost no way to, with any sense of realism, turn him back to God and thinking of others in such a short word count.

Realistically, someone like Josh might decide to go on such short notice, but the reasons would still probably be grounded in self - wanting to save the day, be a hero, that short of stuff. My best advice for the ending (only because you asked for it when you threw a brick) would be to lengthen the story and have him really struggle with the decision.

If you really want to do some of that in the word limit, then you'd have to lose some of the color in the story (Janet, dinner reservations, racquetball, etc.). But then you're changing the whole story.

However, having said all of that, I really like the story, the characters and the dilemma. I'd love to hear more about how it goes for Josh and Catherine and the village.
04/28/14
This is a great story and I like the way it ends with him having a lot to think about - he hasn't made his decision. It deals very well with the topic too. Well done!
Okay, go ahead and write the novel. I want to read the whole thing! Blessings.
04/28/14
Your title is perfect for this story. I like that you clue the reader in on Josh's selfish nature, but quickly give us a glimpse of a softer side as you leave us hanging in the middle of his decision. This has the earmarks of a great novel in the making.
04/29/14
Interesting story, excellent writing!
05/01/14
Congratulations! God bless~
05/01/14
Congratulations! I told you it was excellent writing. :)
Wow what a powerful story. I love the last line and you did a wonderful job of nailing the topic without coming off as preachy. This is just perfect. I'm so glad to see you writing again because you are so amazing! Congratulations and Happy Dance!
05/02/14
Excellent story! Congratulations on a great EC!
05/02/14
I was appropriately annoyed with Josh by midway through. You did a great job of making him almost unbearable. But, some humanity peaks through and I found myself hoping he would become the man his fiance hopes him to be. Congratulations on your EC win!