The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1247 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/25/08
Your opening paragraph is great… those are definitely questions I would ask. :) I had to smile at the "piana" spelling, and the "shirt would rip off of the shellacked pews" scene and the "second hymn" comment. Then uncle saying, "Is ya dead?" This is delightful! I think you had a blast while writing this. :)
04/26/08
Ha..Ha..Ha! Thanks for the laugh! I liked the part of every kid having to go to the outhouse during the second hymn. (one of my pet peeves!)
Great writing! **THIS SPARKLES**
04/26/08
Very nice story-telling. Great job! You brought a motley crew of characters to life:)
Laury
04/29/08
Wonderful dialect (a real strength of yours) and charming rural flavor. Love this.
04/29/08
Great characters—and true! How many other "sacred" objects have caused other church battles when they have been moved or removed. Great voice too. Love the shellacked pews—seems to me I've sat on a few of them.
What a fun read! I'd love to have been a fly on the wall inside the church that day. Although I would have opted for the "new piana" over the old ANY day!
Enjoyed all of this entry, but really liked the crash paragraph!! Fun stuff here, thanks for the grins.
This is purely delightful, it reads partly like Steinbeck's "East of Eden" with a bit more humor thrown in. Love the way you told this story, the dialogue, the characters...everything!
04/30/08
Oh my! You had me hook, line, and sinker in this story. It's delightful and fun to read. What a character and what a tale.
There's so much I enjoyed in this entry. "I heard 'Old Rugged Cross' played in a near ragtime pace..." was fun and the following sentence was perfect. Love the humor!