The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 448 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/17/15
Is roughty a word or did you create it? Cute story.
07/17/15
Great job!

God bless~
This is a powerful story. You grabbed my heart and held on to it throughout the entire story. I wanted to reach through the screen and comfort the MC. Her pain and grief was palpable.

I'm not sure if your opening line was the best. First, it's a passive line, but even more so, I think if you needed to use it, it would have been more effective as a thought. For example: After packing our things, we scurried away from the family. As soon as we were out of sight, I crumpled to the ground. I've failed my boys. I don't know how to do this on my own. I'm the ugly tourist our family had joked about, but that was before--before our world changed.
I know I took some liberties and might have added some things that may not fit your story, but I wanted to show how using thoughts and body language can develop the characters, move the story along, and paint a picture.

I loved your ending. Often people struggle with the ending because of the word limit and the desire to tie it into a neat bow. Your ending left me feeling hopefully and grateful. I think you were spot on topic wise, and you told a refreshing story. Great job.
Congratulations on ranking 3rd in your level and 18 overall! The highest rankings can be found on the message boards. Happy Dance!