The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1683 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
What a touching story.
01/17/08
In tears, Evelyn realized the poem was a message from God--an answer to her prayers--not the way she was thinking, but the way He was thinking.

His ways are not our ways...thank you for this tear-jerking reminder.
01/17/08
It was Evelyn's human resource, her coping mechanism, to think of future possibilities in order to lessen her focus on the pain of the present.

Your story does a good job showing that God has every resource we need to live victoriously in the present moment.
01/18/08
This reads like a true story. Very convicting, and a good job showing the inner turmoil.
Keep writing!
This gave me goosebumps here! I'm glad that the poem touched a heartstring. This was very nice!
I have never seen the phrase, "Thanksgiving Mourning" and was quite struck by both its message and implication. You did a wonderful job with the emotional journey here.
01/23/08
The Thanksgiving Mourning poem was just oh-so-poignant. Beautiful.
01/23/08
I love how God uses things to get our attention and point us in the right direction. Good job. :-)
01/24/08
You wrote on topic and showed it well. Red ink: It feels as if you've put so much Scripture and lyrics into it that they are fillers to pad out the story. Your writing is good enough to not need to do that. A suggestion would be to focus just on the day of the funeral and lead us through her emotions and thoughts of another man and then have her presented with the poem. That gives you more space for description and draws us into it more.
01/24/08
I love this character and the exploration of her honest feelings. I agree with Sally that I would have liked to see more about her and her thoughts and feelings-she's such a great character!