The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1279 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is a touching story. I too love the smell of lilacs and I smiled at the little girl's adventure in getting them. You also pulled on my heartstrings. You did a great job weaving the two parts of the story together.
I enjoyed so much this introduction to a delightful child, so full of heart she was willing to get a spanking for taking a gift to her teacher, as well as eating an onion/potato sandwich to keep from hurting a friend's feelings. Surely a foreshadowing of the woman she would become. The story pictures a special era when times were hard and neighbors shared and cared. Lots to think about here. Definitely on topic.
08/07/10
A very touching story indeed! How well you wrap an emotional story around your memories of lilacs. The story pulls you in from the very start...Yes! You would have a deep connection with lilacs, from a lesson on "stealing" to a lesson on "compassion." I was with you there in that hot, cramped neighbour's house, smelling the overpowering aroma of lilacs...Very good! Hope this story rates high in the scores of the judges...Helen
08/09/10
The MC in this story stole my heart. The common thread of the lilacs was woven through this piece beautifully.
Such a sad tale about the babies. I'm glad the MC had compassion and a sweet spirit for her friend.
08/10/10
A masterful presentation of compassion...I could almost smell the lilacs! You have such a way with words, Mariane, and I love hearing the stories you tell from the "olden" days!
08/10/10
You made me cry over your beautiful true-life story. Your powers of description are unmatched. This is a keepsake for sure and a winner in my book.
Yes, a keepsake, a winner and a downright treasure to say the least. Everything about this is superb. Boy, I should have read this while seeking to get a grip on myself today.:)
08/10/10
I remember the smell of lilacs from my visits to Rochester, New York. So yummy. But there can be too much of a good thing.
08/12/10
Your telling on this story made in come alive for me. I could see it so clearly. So believable and haunting, yet lovely at the same time. Your writing is top-notch as well. Just splendid and one I won't forget anytime soon.

mona