The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1372 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/10/06
I love how you authentically captured the sound of the language of the time without anachronism. This is one of my all-time favorite hymns, and I love having the back story. One thing: "Bard" of Ireland (probably a typo). Thanks so much for this well-written piece.
08/12/06
Fascinating and educational. Nice job.
08/13/06
One thing that lifts me up in my "down" times is studying the origin of some of the hymns written centuries back. I'm immediately reminded that my trials and challenges in life are so minimal in comparison to those who faced persecution for their faith on a level you nor I will ever know. You captured this story so well, gave personality to people who previously only had names. Well done! :)
Cool. As I read I hear the Irish accent of the narrator. Good Job! Enjoyable read.
08/16/06
Your descriptive writing in the third paragraph gave us a glimpse into the cell and of the man himself. A very powerful message: "Be Thou my Vision..." Well done.
08/16/06
Now you've got me hooked on hymn origins! This was such an interesting story, and you shared it so masterfully! I'm definitely going to have to look up more of these! What an inspiring story!