The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2020 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/25/06
This is incredible stuff! I like the way you took a moment in time and painted a picture as opposed to the telling of the story. Real. A true picture of exhilirating joy. Awesome work.
This made me cry. Beautiful, especially knowing a little bit of the story behind it. I don't understand your first line, but just loved the rest.
Beautiful account. Very well written.
To quote the Psalmist, this is "too wonderful for me!" You dipped your pen in the miracle of life and started writing. The eighth wonder, the way of a father with his son. What a blessed little boy!
05/26/06
This was beautiful. You caught every movement ...every emotion perfectly. Excellent!
05/27/06
DE-lightful.
05/27/06
You gave us enough clues to realize that this is one very special boy. I love this piece - the joy you experience as you interact with your Joey is beautifully expressed. From what another comment says, I gather it is based on truth, too, huh? That makes it even more special.

Not a criticism ... just a comment. When you first mentioned his almond eyes, I immediately thought that this was an Asian child. But then at the end, I found that his eyes are almond shaped but blue. Guess almond shaped eyes don't have to be Asian, huh?

Pure
Joey

What a magnificent way to end.
05/30/06
What a wonderful picture! You translate joy to the reader throught this interaction between adult and child. Sometimes I think that we are here to teach children about the world, while they are here to remind us of what Heaven is like. God bless.
05/30/06
enjoyed your descriptions
05/30/06
Loved everything about this including the title. Well done!
06/01/06
What a wonderful example of a "Father/Son" relationship that paints a beautiful picture of our relationship with our heavenly Father

He is mindful that we are but dust, as you are mindful of your sons dependency; with great love tenderness and protection. As you are his fortress, his wings, likewise, He is our fortress and covers us with His wings (Psalm 91), and takes the same pleasure in us.

This created a lovely picture for me of how He delights in us; with joy. May we have the faith of a child.
"Guess almond shaped eyes don't have to be Asian, huh?"

Down syndrome. When my grandfather was alive, he used to call me Sugarboy. I had no idea how much he loved me until I began to reflect back on my life and how much he did for me and how much he taught me. So, I have passed the sweet title on to my Sugarboy; my sun on rainy days.
Kris, I just now read this and I loved every word. I could picture you with your son and the love and joy jumped off the page. Congratulations on a well deserved win.
Kris, congratulations! And thanks so much for the 'story behind the story.' Beautiful.
06/02/06
This piece is filled with tenderness. It touched me. Thank you.
Precious and tender. Lots to think about. The first line hit me after the fact - when the story became a commentary on perspective. The joy is there, if we only have eyes to see it.

This is one fortunate little boy, to be so cherished.

When were expecting our second child, it was unexpected. When we found out it was a he, we were thrilled (and surprised). When he was born on Mother's Day (two weeks premature), we were concerned. When the neonatologist said he had Down syndrome, we were devastated. For a time.

To anyone considering aborting a child with Down syndrome, consider this: we would have hand picked him from God's "Baby Shelf". He is amazing. So many people think that Down kids are useless and miserable and beter off dead. Not true. He can sign about 10-15 words and can sight read around the same number (but a slightly different group--some signs require fine motor skills no infant has as yet). He turned two last month.

It's true they require more work, but it's also true that you often get back what you put into life.

He gives us joy. (And so does our daughter! I'll write about her next!)
Thanks so much for giving background about this story, Kris. Your sugarboy is blessed to have you in his life - and obviously, you are blessed to have him as well. God is faithful. I'm happy for your win, and I look forward to reading about your daughter.