The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 708 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/02/14
Awww. I really loved this piece! It captivated me...nicely done.

God bless~
This is just beautifully written. Clean and concise with just enough detail to create an amazing picture in the mind. The perfect example of "show, don't tell." Great job.
That was adorable!! I was chuckling throughout.

In a couple places where there are longer sentences, maybe adding some commas might help the reader not get mixed up. But that could also be just me. :)

I loved your word pictures. I could see everything vividly, yet it flowed smoothly because you never bombarded me with jawbreaking words (which I tend to do to my own poor readers, far too often...ha ha).

I am eager to read more of your pieces.
I just enjoyed it all especially the ending.

You did it. Story telling (writing) may be your "salt and pepper".
08/04/14
You have created a picture in words of me and my wife. Ha!

Great story.

It warmed my heart as you so wonderfully painted your story with words that helped me see. Super!

God bless.

This is a winner in my book!
I love this story. You brought the little couple to life. I could easily picture the scene unfolding. You developed the characters in a wonderful way and with such a limited word count.

One thing you need to be careful of, and it's a difficult thing to do, is watch out for POV shifts. You started the story from the POV of the impatient young man, then you switched to showing from others in general, then for a bit from the couple's POV, then once again to the owner of the stall. That can be discerning for the reader. Instead, try to pick one character and remember that the reader can only know, see, or hear what the MC knows, sees, or hears. I'd have told the story from the old woman's POV. For example: The little old lady noticed the young man scowling as he elbowed his way through the crowd. Gently, she tugged her husband's arm and made room for the youngster to charge past.
That's just an example of how to show the pressing crowd through the MC's eyes. She can't know what the boy is thinking, but seeing his scowl and the way he is elbowing his way through the crowd shows both her and the reader that he is impatient.

I loved the ending. Often, that is the most difficult part, but you nailed it. I love it when I don't see a twist coming as it doesn't happen often. You also nailed the topic. This story delighted me and left me with a warm happy feeling. It's one of my favorites this week.
08/08/14
No surprise, here. I knew it :-)

08/08/14
No surprise here. I knew it. :-)Congratulations and keep submitting.
08/08/14
Aw. Loved this! Congratulations on your placing.
08/08/14
Congrats!
God BLess~
08/08/14
Congrats!
God BLess~
08/11/14
Unique and full of flavor.

I really enjoyed your story and congratulations.