The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 786 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/13/05
I see it was meant to be heartwrenching and all that stuff and it was a nice little ending. But I got lost in all the midst of it. You just kept saying "Lad" over and over and I tuned out. I tried to read this three times, I really did. But my computer shows up chinese characters for all the punctuation marks and it just couldn't hold my interest. Maybe wrap it up a little faster next time? Make it short and sweet?
Sorry I can't be of more help!
09/13/05
I think you will improve readability if you separate your lines of dialog. A common spelling error: isle / aisle. A nice, cross-generational tale.
09/15/05
good buys should be goodbyes. I read this twice and for some reason, I'm not getting it. I was left confused at the ending.
09/21/05
William, I understood the point of your story very easily, but you definitely do need some help with editing. Perhaps it would help to post something like this in the Critique Circle, where you hopefully may receive some more indepth feedback. There are simple things, like the "good buys" for "goodbyes" and "isles" for "aisles." Unfortunately the spell checker won't pick those up, because they are legitimate words. That's where a bit of editing help will make a big difference.

Also, watch for the places where you leave "ed" off the end of some words, eg, "he drop back into place as if forever" That "drop" should be "dropped."

The other thing is the dialogue. Always start a new paragraph every time the person speaking changes. Otherwise it's just a huge jumble and very hard for the reader to follow.

Anyway William, I hope you won't be discouraged. You have the imagination and I think you have the makings of a good story teller. You just need a bit of polish now to make those things shine. With love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator)