The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 730 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/21/10
I like the setting you give of two good friends sitting, drinking coffee, and talking about the hurt they've felt from their current situation. It's obvious that these two have a strong bond of friendship. For me, it doesn't seem necessary to put the names of each person speaking in each paragraph. You can get away with bouncing back and forth the dialogue without adding who is speaking, since there are only two people present. You would need to add who is speaking every now and then, but not every time someone says something. Good job on painting a nice picture of their conversation!
10/23/10
I agree--you have created authentic conversation and mood, which is a treat. A softer touch with identification would have let it flow even more naturally.
Cheers.
This is an interesting story between two friends. There is so much more I want to know. But you did a mice job of keeping me reading.
10/24/10
You've got some great 'salsa' words in here--scallawag, reprobate, etc. Love that humorous touch.

Work a bit on comma usage--and at one point, it reads as if you have a character sipping coffee with his eyes.

I enjoyed the relationship between these two friends--a pleasant read.
I really liked the humor and you did a great job at painting a vivid picture with your words. :)
10/28/10
I like the conversation between the two old friends. It is apparent that they are very fond of each other, and you captured the "male" tone in the dialogue with ease. I will not reiterate the improvements others have mentioned except to say that the story would be more powerful with those edits. Great job!
10/29/10
Hi my old friend. I wish there were time for someone to proof for you before submitting. There were too many errors and that distracted from the story, and I am not quite sure what the story was about. Conversation between friends is not usually peppered with first names or with scripture references by chapter and verse. Try to write just like you would speak. Keep writing.