The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 540 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/17/16
Wow- I loved this!

Nicely done...

Blessings~
Nicely done.
We have all done things we are not proud of, but thanks be to Jesus-the shepherd gentle and lovingly pulls us back in.
God Bless.
This is a powerful story. I especially liked the inner dialog. I know the devil really can use those voices to make us turn away. If it matters to us, it matters to God and you demonstrated that nicely. God speaks to us in many ways and using the phone was a creative way to show God's love for us.

It might just be me. I've been quite sick this week, so my brain is fuzzy, but I had a hard time following parts of it and had to reread it. I think what might have happened is you tried to pack in too much for the word count (I do that all the time). Maybe instead of touching on many things (break up, sex, joint, overeating) focus on one thing and expand on that. You also mentioned a few extra characters (Sam, Jill, Candace), which made it confusing too because you didn't have time to develop them. Instead, perhaps use inner dialog and more body language to paint the reader a picture. For example: Shivering, Tracy stared at the mirror. She hardly recognized the hollow-eyed reflection with mascara smudged across her cheekbones. Cover-Girl. Tah! No amount of makeup will ever camouflage my shame. No concealer can hide my regrets. Why did I let it go so far? I should've known better. She twisted the purity ring off her ring finger and hurled it at the reflection in the mirror. Crumpling to the floor, she screamed, "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

I know I added some details, but I wanted to show you how to use body language to develop the character even more. You really did have a nice foundation (no make up pun intended), which allowed me to build the example. I could feel the MC's pain and wanted to reach out and comfort her. Your message is one most people can relate to. We all make mistakes and wish we could change things we've done. I think it was quite courageous to write about this topic. It's not easy to tackle, but you handled it discreetly, but still let the reader understand the power of guilt and regret. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I think you did a nice job of writing on topic from the smeared makeup to the smudge sin leaves on our souls.


03/17/16
I'm glad Tracy got to feel God's redemption. I thought this piece was well written overall, but maybe had too many conflicts and characters.
03/17/16
I enjoyed your story line- but agree parts were hard to follow.
03/18/16
I agree with others' comments that you tried to get too much and too many characters into too little space. However, I really enjoyed reading it and thought you presented a problem and a solution nicely.
03/20/16
I liked the inner conflicts the MC was going through.I have the same problem of trying to fit everything into a story so I feel for your dilemna.The main theme seemed to be guilt over smoking the joint.

It is great th a t the MC felt forgiven at the ending. Keep writing and developing your writing.
03/22/16
Very nicely done. I didn't get the sense that you tried to cram too many details into the story. Smoking the joint seems to have been a way to try to cover up guilt about other things. The MC seems to have spun out of control over time and needed the reminder of Jesus' love.

I would suggest, though, that you devote one editorial session to finding and replacing forms of "to be"--including but not limited to passive voice. If you look for them, you can nearly always find a better verb.
03/24/16
Congratulations, Mindy, for placing 2nd place in the Beginner's category. I thought this entry was powerfully done.
03/24/16
Sorry, I meant Windy.
03/24/16
Congrats!
Blessings~
Congrats!
Congratulations on ranking 2nd in your level and 16 overall. The highest rankings can be found on the message boards. Happy Dance. For you first entry too! Great job! Here is link for rankings:
http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40039
It's interesting how experience and circumstances can impact how a person reads a story. I thought the line How'd she let it go that far meant that she let kissing turn into something like sex and the joint was a way to forget. I see others saw it differently. That's probably why I was confused. I read it today and sensed the guilt was more over the pot. The cool thing is this shows the Holy Spirit using your words to touch people in ways you may not even have meant! How cool is that? :)