The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 445 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I like your story. I can definitely relate to the MC's predicament. I've often heard God calling me to do something and feel overwhelmed. He keeps at me though.

I have a few suggestions that would make this story even stronger. Some experts suggest that you shouldn't start off with dialog because it can make the reader feel like they are entering in the middle of something. Actually, it didn't dawn on me that it was God speaking until the third read through. This is one way you could go:
As I was driving home from work, I heard God speak to my heart. I want you to go to Appalachia this summer and be a chaplain.
As he spoke, I felt a warm, loving tingle spread throughout my body, and I began to sob.

My other main suggestion would be your ending. I liked that you saved the Scripture to the end, but it weighed the story down a bit. Instead, I'd encourage you to paraphrase it in your own words. When you include the reference, the reader can still click on it and read it from the Bible, but by putting it in your words as you understand it, it allows the reader insight into the MC's heart.

You did a nice job of writing on topic. I liked that you added dialog and body language. The message is clear and powerful. I think most everyone can relate in some way. It's also a great reminder that when we pray, trust, and obey, God provides, and wonderful things abound.
It looks like good points for a short devotional material.

Well written. Nice tone to the whole story.
10/21/16
John, This story reminded me that God always equips our needs when he calls us.

How amazing that God works every last detail out and blesses in the process.