The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 423 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/12/16
Very imaginative and creative fun story. Good job!

Blessings~
05/13/16
I;m glad I had front row seats to the Nalukutag Festival. I know very little about Alaska.

In the seventh paragraph, it should read, "I'[m] glad ...

You need a comma after most introductory words, so it would be: Gati, your coat ..

Well done.
05/13/16
That was an interesting story. I never heard it. Too cold for me though.
05/17/16
You've drawn us into the festival with a lot of detail, but sustained present tense is always difficult to follow closely.
If you use present tense for speech or conversation, and wrap that in a past tense description of your attending the event, it would work even better.
I really liked your idea. I thought it quite creative and interesting. I especially like children's books and with some work, I could see you doing something with this.

I don't think you needed the opening paragraph. It's all telling. You really want to add body language and action (especially for a picture book). For example, I might start it like this:

Innugati shuffled over the snow. His giant snowshoes made a swooshing sound. Smiling, he held out his arms and embraced his new friend.

“Hi,I'm Innugati. It means friend, and you can call me Gati. You must be my new friend John from the southern most city in the United States,Key West, Florida, where the temperature stays around 70-75 degrees all year round.”
John hugged his new friend, who lived in the Northern most part of the United States. "Hi, I am John. My parents read about the Nalukataq Festival in a vacation magazine and decided to vacation in Barrow.”
John shivered and burrowed deeper into his parka.“Gati,how can you stand the cold?"
This is just an example to show you what I mean and how you could still introduce everything by showing. I also shortened some of the lines, especially for a picture book, it's important to keep it short.

You definitely did a great job of writing on topic. I thought it educational, unique, interesting and fun. I can't wait to read more of your stories.
The story both educated me about the region and entertained me as well. Creative and fun. Good job!
05/19/16
Very fun story! I have always wanted to visit Alaska but not so sure about Florida. I liked how you contrasted the two. My mental movie during the story flowed smoothly, other than the 3rd paragraph. It seemed a bit repetitive as I already gathered the short version of his name. Missing a few comma's as others already pointed out but overall a very good story. Makes we want to visit Alaska even more now!