The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 209 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
What a compelling story! It's hard to believe that governments back then exercised so much control over citizens that they could jail them for marrying outside their race. Sadly, the Christian community worldwide was also complicit in this sort of thing. I was active in the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s both as a teacher and a resident, and when I brought a black colleague to church with me one Sunday, you wouldn't believe the chaos that ensued. I finally said, "My older sister has already given 20 years of her life to missionary work in West Africa, delivering babies, showing women how to make soap, how to read, how to better their lives and how to find Jesus. I am ashamed of my home church here in the U.S. for rejecting my black, college-educated Christian friend who just moved to this city and is looking for a Bible-believing church." Thankfully, things began to change and several more black families who lived near the church were welcomed as new members.
This was interesting and educational. I rejoiced with the bride and groom.
05/13/22
Those were tough times in SA, thankfully they have passed. You have captured the spirit of the times and also the turmoil that many people experienced. Well written.
Thank you for this engaging and informative story and glimpse in to history.
05/25/22
Very well told, engrossing story putting a face (actually two faces) on apartheid. Congratulations on you well-earned third.
05/30/22
Congratulations on placing third.
You painted real and very courageous characters.
Your story was well crafted and flowed smoothly. It is clearly written and well communicated.
Thank you for Immoral Acts.