The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 585 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/12/17
I love the imagery throughout this piece. Well done with the writing.

Red Ink: Pay attention to the placement of the characters and make sure to note when they move from one place to another. In the first paragraph, the characters went from just having tackled a tent on the football field to suddenly picking up slippery home-made soap at their booth.
10/12/17
The title drew me and the story kept me reading. Your writing is full of wonderful images. I could see the canopy blowing down the football field and the angry bees flying around the booth.

I think a couple of the paragraphs could have been split into two and make sure to double-space between paragraphs.

I enjoyed your writing style and hope you will continue to submit entries.
10/13/17
Good visual cues. The title was catchy. This piece had many nice descriptions.

A few run on sentences that sometimes interrupted the flow of your story.

Nice writing
Very fine writing.

You have had your "experience" and learned a lesson that you are passing on to others. That lesson is not just about how to secure a booth but how to learn from an unpleasant situation and come out with admirable attitudes.

You can use this story in other appropriate situations.

Keep writing.
10/13/17
I loved your pictorial descriptions, though I'd have to agree that you need to break them into more paragraphs. (One idea or conversational input per para is a good basic rule.) I'll look forward to seeing more of your work, because you are showing some great word-skills.
10/15/17
A very good story. You have the makings of a good writer.

I would like to just leave a little suggestion to make this a more impactful story.

First, I always try to use the MR approach. Motivation-Reaction. You had some great motivational prompts that would stir the five senses. that is what you want to convey. Your reaction. the visual picture of the effect of the canopy destroying your hard work.

You did a little, but I would have liked to have seen more emotional distress shown by your reaction.


Secondly, try starting out with a good hook. Make them wonder what will follow. Don't start out telling them.

An example would be as follows:

You had a flat tire on the way to an important meeting. Don't start out, "I had a flat tire on the way to an important meeting."

Rather, "I was standing there dripping with sweat, white shirt disheveled and splattered with tire soot. My heart pounding with consternation as I looked at my watch. I shook my head and wondered, "Would this flat tire destroy my future?"

Maybe not the best example, but the idea is to set the reader up to keep on reading.

Take everyone's ideas for improvement and run with it. I look forward to future dynamic stories. God bless.


10/19/17
Congratulations on placing 1st in the Beginners category and moving up to the Intermediate level, Angela.

This story was well written and I look forward to reading more.
10/20/17
Keep it up.so motivating. When we are assured that God is with us we will never despair even inthe face of hard times.