The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 238 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/28/21
This is lovely! I have only 2 suggestions to make it really pop: 1st, a few too many passive verbs... from red light was flashing to red light flashed. Small tweaks like that make a huge difference. 2nd: Would love to see you develop the following paragraph:

Maybe I’m too precious. But why have I begun doubting my appearance, work, and everything since I started dating Alister? It is pregnant with meaning. Also... again remove the passive from Begun doubting to more active verb.

Super lovely story and very enjoyable read!
10/29/21
I really enjoyed your story! I could picture it all and it warmed my heart. Keep writing!
10/29/21

Quite captivating! The content, diction, grammar and style... are excellent. Well-done!
10/31/21
I loved it!

Keep writing.
11/01/21
Your lovely story was like a warm breeze on a chilly day. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and could picture the happy couple long into their future while Alister wound up alone with his worldly treasures!
11/01/21
Your story was interesting. It held my interest until the end.
11/01/21
You have skillfully written gentle hints of conflicting thoughts and actions, character flaws Alister showed towards Adina. Michael seemed to be God's gentle touch leading him into the picture... and so forth.

I'd love to see how Adina and Alister, or Michael and Adina have turned out.

Good work!
A fantastic story that engages the reader. The Lord has a way to steer our path that surprises us from time to time!
This is a powerful piece with such a potent message. I worked so hard to teach my kids it's better to be alone than with the wrong person and a delighted to say all three waited and declared they were so happy they waited for the right one. Be careful about POV shifts. There's a few subtle ones where you tell what the other person is thinking. Instead show how you know this by describing body language or dialog. FW offers a great book for free for paid members called Bring Your Writing to Life. You have to message them and ask for it, but it was the one tool that really helped me understand POV shifts. You did a fine job of writing on topic and delivering a clear message. Congratulations on ranking 4th in your level and 16th overall. Happy Dance!