The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 485 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/14/16
Your words took me a back. It isn't often that I see my name in a story. I am glad that Mary Lou never gave up on Bonnie and her life was a witness.

01/19/16
An amazingly powerful story with strong witness to the power of the Holy Spirit.

So often people think those who are "in tune" with the Lord are "wacky" or "off the deep end" that is such a compliment...as Jesus said, be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven.

Thanks for sharing your beautifully inspiring story of your sister and your life with us. She sounded like a special gift from God.

God bless~
01/19/16
“Enemy, in the Name of Jesus, I break every assignment and any plot you have against my children. I say to you, 'Greater is He who is in me than he who is in this world.'”

I'm utilizing this passage from now on. Thank you.

What a wonderful story. What a wonderful sister. You were so fortunate.

God Bless,
This is a powerful story. Mary Lou's words and faith will touch the hearts of many people. It's like she's still here witnessing to everyone who reads this charming story.

Some people say you shouldn't start a story with dialog as it can make the reader feel like she walked in in the middle of something, I don't necessarily agree, but in this case I think starting with action might pull the reader in right off. You could also tighten it up some, which will make it easier to read and leave you more words for more details. For example, I might suggest an edit like this:
Mary Lou marched up, placed her hands on the building, and bowed her head. "In the name of Jesus, please close this bar and never let this place be used to hurt people again. Amen."
Bonnie felt the heat creep up her neck and spread across her face. Tugging on her sister's arm, she tilted her head towards the grimy window. "You've fallen off the deep end--doing strange things, and then saying that the Holy Spirit told you to do it. What will people think?"

It's not perfect, but sometimes I think it's easier to understand if I see an example. I didn't need to tell the reader that Bonnie was embarrassed because I showed it with her red cheeks, pulling her sister away, and finally with dialog. It also starts off with action and conflict right away.

For the most part, you've done a great job telling the story, but just some rearranging can pull the reader in faster and make it outstanding. I thought the conflict was realistic and one everyone can relate to. Your story showed what faith really means and how important prayer is. You've done a great job of making your points without sounding preachy. That's not easy to do. I especially like that this is so realistic. You've turned a true experience into creative nonfiction. I enjoyed reading this and look forward to reading more of your stories.