The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 724 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I really liked this one. The descriptions of the grandfather were brilliant, and I could just sense the very tense atmosphere. A great title, and the story tied in so well with the scripture quoted. Just one little mistake - I think you meant 'stare' instead of 'stair'. Other than that, I found this one very moving, and was glad to find out why he had been staring sadly up the road for such a long time.
I was very moved by this story. Some of your descriptions are so vivid that I had to blink. Don't worry about the misspellings, dear. The spellchecker couldn't have picked them up. The story is outstanding and so is your writing.
04/11/08
What an amazing story! Your title is perfect. I love the proverb you added at the end and your story is a perfect example for it. The descriptions of the grandpa were excellent and the grandma was a character that was impressive. I enjoyed this trip down memory lane with the butch wax, marbles, and front porch rocking chair. :)
Wow--you got right to my heart. "How could my grandma love him so much?" It's about so much more than hope deferred; it's an amazing picture of eternal, unconditional love. Your descriptions sizzle, and you use that talent skillfully to unfold the story. Just a bit more dramatic tie-in between your opening and your ending will top off this piece.
Keep writing like this and you'll be in Level 4 before we know it.
04/12/08
Very nice story. Well done.
Laury
04/13/08
The first half of this piece was excellent – atmospheric and mysterious and it really kept me guessing, certain that there was a secret buried somewhere. I wasn’t so sure about your conclusion as in some ways it raised more problems than it answered.
I enjoyed the superb descriptions given in this story. I think you are an excellent writer.

I felt like the transition from the beginning to the end was a bit rushed. However, it is sometimes hard to tell a story like this in only 750 words, so I think you did a good job with what you had to work with.

Thank you for sharing this. :)
This was so good and loved your title. You set the story well and I was not expecting your ending.
Vivid descriptions in this emotional piece. I agree that the ending raised some questions, but that isn't always a bad thing. Great writing.