The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1482 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This was very interesting to learn about. It was also inspiring. The little proverbs in the middle were really thought-provoking. Well done.
02/24/07
This was good. I've always been interested in people who face challenges like these every day. I think I would have focused on one or two athletes in depth, rather than trying to give us a small glimpse of many athletes.
02/25/07
Great, inspiring stories. Thank you.
Always glad to hear of people who work in the Special Olympics. I admire them very much although I have never been privileged to work with them.
02/25/07
A very strong beginning to this piece and an interesting take on the topic. I enjoyed the various examples you gave of the different athletes. I loved this line: "Greatness is an athlete who sees one of his opponents trip and fall - and runs back to help the opponent get up and cross the finish line." I couldn’t agree more. Nice job!
02/25/07
Definitely very inspiring stories! Thank you so much for sharing them.
02/25/07
I like the repetition of the "Greatness is..." paragraphs. Very effective. I have a brother who has been a Special Olympian, and I really appreciate this piece.
02/26/07
Thank you for this take on the topic. Nothing brings perspective to sports like the Special Olympics. I agree with the others on the effectiveness of the "Greatness is..." statements. Awesome article.
It takes a special gift to work with such special people. I could hear your heart throughout your introduction of the athletes. Nice job.
02/28/07
I really loved this piece. You had my attention immediately. These athletes, every one of them, are overcomers. I couldn't help but think about how the meek will inherit the Earth....how the last shall be first, and how God speaks through our weakness. I know that God applauds the sentiments in this piece. This was very well written. I only saw one flaw in it...several times. It's an easy one to correct, too, and one of the most common grammatical mistakes made: punctuation marks go inside of quotation marks, not outside. Easy to fix, huh? Your story is DYNAMITE! Well written, unique, with a great takeaway!
02/28/07
I loved reading this, both times! A special piece for special people!
This is a beautiful tribute to the wonderful, true 'athletes' out there who do what they do with the right spirit and attitude and make a difference even if it's just inside themselves or someone around them. I love the title and the many different 'characters'. Thoroughly inspiring + Awesome writing! ^_^
03/03/07
Thank you Donna for pointing out what Special athletes we have. One other item I would add to your list of what makes a great athlete - one who brings tears to your eyes! God bless - obviously not written for your own personal goal!