The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 273 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This has a great foundation. Abuse and alcoholism is everywhere and in every type of home. It's important to bring attention to it. You did a nice job of showing the anxiety and fear in the beginning. You pulled me in quickly with the conflict and held me by building the suspense. Your dialog tags could use some polishing. For example instead of a tagline, use a narrative sentence: She forced herself to smile. Also be careful of POV shifts. You slipped into the husband's head at end. Those are little things though. The ending felt a bit too sudden for me. It's tempting to wrap things into a bow and have a happy ending. I loved how you showed she prayed often. And God does answer prayers, but it's still important to be cautious before taking an abuser back. For me, the ending might have been more powerful if she had said a prayer thanking God for leading him to Jesus, but also asking for wisdom, strength, and patience to make sure going back to him was God's will. Overall, I think you told an important story. You did an excellent job of getting into the MC's mindset and developing her personality. You have good transitions and this is well-written. You've done a great job.
05/12/21
You told a sad story well. I agree that the ending was a bit abrupt. Keep writing!
The tension/conflict draw me in right away.
You could tighten things up, leaving yourself words for telling more of the story, with more showing, less telling. Last I knew,Jan's classes were still on the forum, and I'm sure there is one going over that, but here is a quick example.
"The stairs creaked under the weight of David’s steel-toed boots. Fear built in Rachel’s body which shook each time he came home. Knots formed in her stomach as she wondered what was next. She pushed the tattered suitcase under the bed not a second too soon."

"The stairs creaked under David’s steel-toed boots. Rachel's stomach clinched, then did a somersault. With trembling hands, she pushed the tattered suitcase under the bed not a second too soon."

It did not ring realistic to me that she would have dared push past her husband.
I find myself wondering if he had been a functional alcoholic prior to her conversion, or if that was his response to her faith, as the abuse seems to be.
One of the hardest parts of writing is to not presume that the reader knows everyting you know about your characters, to ask oneself, "Is there anything I might not understand if I was reading this for the first time without having the author's inside knowledge?"

I alwys love a feline appearance in a story.
05/23/21
Your story was well written. I agree with others who said your ending was a little too sudden.

Perhaps you could have him come over to Rachel's parents' place for a few hours so the two of them could talk and perhaps start to see if things could be worked out, with her father's permission, of course!

Overall, a great story.
06/01/21
I appreciated your tale of God's faithful answer to prayer, when all looked lost.

Thank you for a hopeful ending. As we walk by faith, sometimes it doesn't look promising but God is working all things for good and your story demonstrated an example of tough love turned to redemption.