The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 624 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/20/14
What a touching and deeply poignant story. My heart aches yet celebrates at once.

Thank you for sharing this amazingly tender story.

God bless~
09/20/14
Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece right from the heart.
09/22/14
Congratulations for so skilfully and succunctly describing your experience of simultaneously walking through the shadow of the valley of death and the wonder of inf-anticipation.
Great work.
09/22/14
Wow. Great job tugging my heart.
I was left guessing if Makenzie was a baby or a dog.

The story had a lot of descriptions that gave the tone of the situation but who are the sisters, the husband and the surprise "girl"?

It seem I will have to wait for chapter two to find out.
09/23/14
This was a lovely contrast between life and death, tragedy and joy.
Nice job.
A sparkling ending to a very poignant story . . .

Please consider throwing a brick for comments, critique, helpful hints and warm fuzzies!
http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=38643

1 Peter 3:15 - But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Hugs and prayers, Judi
09/25/14
Congrats!

God bless~
Congratulations on ranking 4th in your level and 24 overall! The highest rankings can be found on the message boards.
I love this story. It's short, but gets right to the heart of the matter. I found a lump in my throat, yet a smile in my eyes as I finished reading.

I noticed the beginning was a tad weak. In this day of age where a new story is only a click away, it's vital to grab that reader immediately. Your beginning is all passive sentences. What I might suggest would be to do something like this: While sitting in the waiting room of the cancer center, the sound of my phone trilling jangled my nerves. My husband was having an especially bad day, and I almost ignored the ringing. Glancing at the caller ID, I saw my sister's number. When I picked up the phone, I could hear her crying. My stomach plummetted at her voice. "I don't know how it happened. We're not ready to be parents. Oh what should I do?"
I know I added a lot to the story and some may not fit, but I wanted to show you a way to use "salsa" words like plummetted, trilling, and jangled. They not only give accurate descriptions, but they create a picture of the conflict right out of the box. The dialog also helps move the story along while giving insight to the characters.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but wanted to show one way to make that beginning really pop as it's one of the 8 criteria the judges use. I think you did great with the others, you used the topic throughout the entire story. Your message is clear and one everyone can relate to. I love your ending. The one thing I noticed is a lot of people named characters Grace this week so maybe one way you could be a tad more original is to do something like this: They named her McKenzie, but to me she will always be the saving grace that pulled me back into the world of living again. That might be too cheesy and on its own I like your ending other than the use of the name was done so much this week. Overall, you told a beautiful story that shows how things that seem insurmountable like a young unplanned pregnancy can turn into the biggest blessing in the world. You touched my heart and reinforced a message God was telling me just yesterday. Thank you for sharing.