The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 684 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/11/14
This is a touching tale and leaves the reader pondering an important issue.

You told the story as if it was happening right then and not in retrospect or past tense. (Can't recall the proper literary terms here). I tried that with one entry "Comical Friendly Elephant". And did not do so well. It is difficult to pull off. But when done well, it is amazing. You did a fairly good job of it, but you might consult someone who is better at it than me for some pointers. The story line was good. Keep up the good work.
04/11/14
Excellent job with this entry. Clever, poignant and moving with an introspective view of life oveall.

I enjoyed the contrasting views of the two men and felt for the MC who lost his wife years earlier.

Well done, and interesting ending....Great job!!

God bless~
04/13/14
The inner conflict of the widower when learning the intentions of man in 42F is poignant.

I like how he raised the issue to help the man in 42F face reality of having a wife at home while lusting for some sweet island honey.

An interesting twist how 42F's plans were handled by mechanical failure: Godly intervention. Especially touching is the memorial scene and learning how much the widow loved the man in 42F.
04/13/14
I meant to add thanks for introducing me to a new word. visage. Had to look it up and now know visage is the form or structure of a person's face, or is a person's facial expression. Thanks!
Good use of the topic word through out the story.

The good short story had several key points brought to mind: being a friend, how do I show my belief in Christ's way of living, hidden fear yet determined to let your light shine, how to react to "worldly life styles".


As a fictional story you could easily expand it. What direction would you take it?

Good writing.
04/14/14
I really like this story. I think the crash portion of the story is too dramatic an occurrence to confine to a single paragraph, and it derailed me for the rest of the story. You tell of losing an engine like blowing out a flip flop. Something like that would be terrifying and just seems too glossed over here.

Don't get me wrong - I understand better than most how a word limit can restrict you in terms of getting in everything you want to say. And I certainly love the dramatic death you gave Gene. I just wish there were enough words available for you to flesh out the ending a little more.

Overall a good entry and I enjoyed the read.

Thanks!
This is a very interesting article. I am a beginner and am in no position to judge anyone. I know things do not always turn out the way we would like for them to. After re-reading this article over the course of a few days, I am still trying to bring all of the pieces of the puzzle together. I know God puts a message in everyone's heart who seek him. I do look forward to reading future writings from you, and wish God's blessings for you and yours!
04/15/14
As previously mentioned, I, too, was a tad thrown off by the casualty of the plane crash. But I totally understand how limiting a word count can be. I encourage you to expand on this piece in your own time and really get into the nitty gritty of Gene's ugliness and the drama of the plane crash and seeing his wife at the memorial.

You most definitely have the talent of a storyteller. I encourage you to perhaps get a challenge buddy (there's a thread in the forum) that can help you with basic grammar and puncuation and such. I think with a little fine tunings of the basics, your gift could take you places.
Congratulations on ranking 7th in your level. The highest rankings can be found in the message boards.