The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 434 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/13/17
Your article had a great message on target with the word Bug. I really like how you related being bugged bu siblings to the Holy Spirit bugging us till we said "uncle" and gave in and received salvation. An observation I believe your first sentence is not a complete sentence. Also you could have said through out our walk with the Lord the Holy Spirit continues to bug us when we are heading the wrong way.
I enjoyed your article.
04/14/17
I completely related to both the bugging of siblings and the Holy Spirit. Very nicely done.
Hello and thank you for the article.

I agree with you on the premise of the "bugging" of the Holy Spirit. I too am grateful for the patient, loving nudges we receive along the way.

On a critical note, I agree with Judy about your opening sentence. I see your point in writing it, but you need a proper ending.

Also, adding some spaces between paragraphs... or breaking it down into paragraphs, would make it easier to read. You need some white-space.

Other than that, thank you for sharing.
04/15/17
Thank you for the article. Where would be, had the Holy Spirit not kept up with his bugging. Well written devotion.
You found a very unique comparison that I enjoyed. When I was being "bugged", I was thankful for the time that came for me to be baptized and I knew I would be free of my sin and I would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Keep your creative thinking and writing alive.
04/18/17
You presented the topic in a wonderful way. Lot to think about. You have great potential in writing.

I want to give you some ideas on improving your writing. I give them in the spirit of love so you might continue to grow.

Paint pictures with words. When you were talking about the brothers and sisters bugging you, show us how they bugged you don't just tell us, i.e., tugging at my arm like a puppy pulling at a rope toy, following me like a shadow on a bright sunny day, or crying for attention like a newly hatched bird begging for a worm.

The same with the Holy Spirit. How did it tug at your heart how did it bring conviction.

I hope this helps and you keep writing powerful stories. God bless.
04/24/17
Cute entry and congratulations on your level win.
04/26/17
Congratulations on your 1st place win in the Beginners category.

I enjoyed the insight you shared. I am currently taking a copy editing class, so I am including my edits in the next box. Remember, these are only suggestions. I really think you have talent but tightening up your piece will only make it better.
04/26/17
Remember when your younger siblings followed you around the house, begged to tag along with you and your friends, and borrowed your favorite toys. The antics of our little brothers and sisters, though well-meaning, used to seriously bug us. We later came to understand that they just wanted to be like us. Back then, we just considered them and their behavior annoying.

The Holy Spirit works in a similar way. Think back to a time before you and I were saved? We could pretty much think, say, and do whatever we wanted, without feeling guilty about it. After we were saved, these same things caused us to feel shameful. It went beyond remorse; there was a tugging, pulling, nudging, and/or a quiet voice telling us “no”. The Holy Spirit wouldn’t let up either. He kept right on “bugging” us until we broke down and confessed our sins, asked for forgiveness, repented, and accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.

When we were going through the so called “bugging” phase, just as we were with our younger siblings, we didn’t understand it and may not have even wanted it initially. However, we later came to the realization spoken of in Romans 8:28; it all worked together for our good, and we can all agree that we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Consider using the “I” perspective and including personal examples. For example: “Barb, did you take my necklace? I wanted to wear it to the birthday party on Saturday.” The “I” perspective also tends to sound less preachy.