Sabbath 6/15/19 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater Pastor Keith sermon “The Perfect Father” Matthew 6:9-13
The Lord’s Prayer is recited at the beginning of many church services. There are over 1,000 verses that use the word father. They refer to God the Father many times. Jesus said that no one can come to the Father but thru Him. Today as we look forward to celebrating Father’s Day, we are thinking of God the Father. God is a role model for all fathers.
In the Lord’s Prayer:
1) Hallowed: This is being holy and set apart. God is unique with a special role to fill. Fathers are also to be this way, unique and special. Fathers should be wise and realize how special their role is in the family. Statistics show that a father in the home makes the family better. Fathers should be faithful.
2) Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done: God IS in control. Earthly fathers should be in control of their families. He should teach faith, justice and courage to his children. He should teach obedience to God and take them to church.
3) Give Us Our Daily Bread: The father’s job is to make sure the family’s needs are taken care of. Their primary role is to provide for the family. Fathers give good things to their children, so God our father will definitely give us good things.
4) Forgive Us Our Debts: Children can be a handful but fathers forgive their children. God forgives us over and over and over again because He believes in us. We do suffer the consequences of our sins but God still forgives us.
5) Lead Us Not Into Temptation/Deliver Us From Evil: Earthly fathers can get angry and sometimes be mean to their children. This is because they are just human beings. God does not want fathers to behave this way. Children imitate their earthly fathers and as dads we need to model God the Father.
6) Thine Is The Kingdom: A godly father realizes that all he has belongs to God the Father. A godly father should confess his failures, know he needs God and be humble to the Lord. He needs to be leading the family to Jesus Christ.