The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1409 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/25/11
Nice. I love how you made her a contemporary of Scarlett O'Hara. The weaving of the song is effective. Good job.
Your MC was an enjoyable character. I didn't really catch the southern flavor of the piece until about midway. BUT, you write very well. You made your point with a memorable character who spoke some profound lines. Overall very well done. I liked it and would read more about this character if it were a longer story. I loved the song bit. It was like the history about to happen was singing. We all know what happens in Georgia so it makes those lines very powerful. 100 years knows much more than a day. Now that I've mulled it over, excellent job.
02/25/11
Oh, wow! I love historical fiction, and this story did not disappoint. I'd love to see a longer version of this. I'm sure that MC of yours has some more things up her sleeves... or hoop skirt. ;)
02/25/11
I enjoyed the dialogue between the two characters - and the name dropping. I think you showed the girl's fears about the future well.
02/27/11
You've created a delightful character...and she deserves an encore:)
03/02/11
i liked it :-) I got confused by the reference to Scarlet O Hara thinking surely that book was written long after the era in which you were setting your piece but then i see one of your commentators is cleverer than me and realised your reasons.
Western-flavored. Kind of. :) This was an interesting read. I liked the strength of the FMC and especially her fearless way of speaking up to the teacher/tutor. A nice, quick read.
03/04/11
I loved how the song was echoed throughout the story.

Congratulations on your well deserved EC award.
03/07/11
What a wonderful story. You put me there in their moment. Congratulations on your editor's choice award!