The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1456 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I admire this tough mom! I am so inconsistent in this area that it's a bit of a battle. Your title grabbed me! Great story did not disappoint.
01/10/08
Such a great example for this topic. I have to say two things: I'm glad that MY mom was not like this, and I wish that I WAS like this LOL. Great detail and dialog.
Yours was the first entry I read because of the title! I loved the dialog and feel it was true, one girl who had learned, the other who still was learning. Enjoyed it very much.
01/10/08
You might have to lengthen this a little but here is a possible outlet that I received in my email.


DATE: 1/10/2008

SUBJECT: Guide Magazine

FROM: Rachel Whitaker

MESSAGE:

Url: www.guidemagazine.org

Compensation: $50-100

Title: True Stories for Kids

Summary: Guide, a weekly Christian magazine for ages 10-14, is looking for true stories that illustrate Bible truth and show young readers how to walk with God. Categories include adventure, inspirational, personal growth, humor, nature, and Christian role model.

Category: Creative Writing

PROJECT LENGTH
1000-1200 words

TARGET AUDIENCE
Kids ages 10-14

KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Know about the situations kids face today, their interests and concerns. Know how to convey spiritual truths by "showing, not telling."

WRITING STYLE
Tell a nonfiction story using short-story techniques such as dialogue, plot, setting, characterization, etc. Focus on a kid protagonist (ages 10-14). Include a clear Christian message.

DELIVERY FORMAT
Submit via e-mail to [email protected], or send hard copy with SASE to Guide, 55 W. Oak Ridge Dr., Hagerstown, MD 21740.

HOW WILL THE CONTENT BE USED
Published in 32-page, four-color weekly magazine distributed throughout North America.

CONTENT OWNERSHIP
We buy first world rights and reprint rights.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Please consult writer's guidelines at www.guidemagazine.org/aboutguide. Also read sample stories on the Web site.

REPLY E-MAIL: [email protected]

01/10/08
Well written story and fun! I had a room like this, in fact, some weeks I still do:) Right on topic!
Laury
Title caught my eye here. Great story! I am glad to be somewhat of a "neat freak" ^_^ Good point!
01/11/08
This is such a cute story and very realistic. I actually thought of this story last evening when I saw that my son had "cleaned" his room by putting everything that had been on the floor into his suitcase! Hugs
01/12/08
Great title, and your dialog was absolutely realistic. Really well done.
01/14/08
Loved the title and everything that followed. Great dialogue and rising tension. I loved how the mother handled her daughter. You've presented a good message in a fun read. Yes, I vote for you to extend the length and submit it to be published!
Very realistic and funny, too. I had a son with the same problem. Now he's his wife's problem! LOL
01/14/08
Realistic dialogue and characterizations. You have the teen mannerisms down pat. The title is great!
01/14/08
I've actually done the same thing to my kids. very funny. Great illustration of the topic.
Very cute, very true. Loved the title. This was a fun read.
01/14/08
I enjoyed this. It was a creative and delightful read.
Wonderful illustration of the topic - creative, funny, and it gets the point across.
01/14/08
Your title is an absolute hoot. The dialogue was very real -- I felt like I was in the house with them. Nice job with the topic.
Lots of teen themes this time including my own. Shows how great minds work - right? Good, good title, lively dialogue and definitely connects.
01/14/08
OK, with a title like this I just had to read this one. Too funny. I have a feeling I'll be living this in a few years. Thanks for the mom pointers! ;-D
Your story was very visual, in addition to having such realistic dialogue. I could just hear the "whatever."
I had to read this one when I saw the title. Great dialog, wonderful mom. Sounds exactly like my daughter's room. :)
I just saw in the hints who wrote this! I'm not surprised it's so good. I love your word choices - flopped, pitched - strong verbs, and the phrase "the hopeful smile slipped away". More stuff I noticed on the 2nd read. :)
Well-written and so, so real. I could just hear this exchange between my wife, my self and our kids.
Great job!
01/17/08
What fun with a great lesson. I love your title!!! Great work on this.
01/17/08
been there, done that ... on both the delivering AND receiving end! lol! Love the story. Good work!
01/17/08
Perfect dialogue and characters! This one could be developed as a skit for church!?
03/14/08
This is only a test: [url=http://impeej.blogspot.com/]Patterings[/url] or is it: Patterings