The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1651 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/07/06
This is a powerful line: “One day the heavens will open for me; this gift bestowed on fragile men, is Glory you will never know” I had to read it twice to catch the flashback part. Very descriptive writing.
That is terrific. At first I thought it was a descriptive piece, which I would have been happy about because your descriptions defy description!
You have a knack of using words in unusual ways. At first, some of these made me say 'Oh, that's not appropriate, surely?' but a moment later I realised it was appropriate at about three layers deeper in meaning. In fact, just like the words of poems behave.
Anyway, it's not a descriptive piece - stuff happens! But the action is joined to the description seamlessly, as though this tragic event were actually part of the painted scene, which in a way was your intention. For everything that happened was part of everything that WAS, ie God's rule. The crane, a lovely, natural observer, and the river (female, interestingly, despite its violence)and the settlement, and the storm, the wolf and doe, and you, are all part of the same Creation. Each playing its part, with the river as God's muse at one point, which is one of those words that made me jump.
There are so many 'right' words and phrases that I can't list them all. No, I've just looked again and there's something in nearly every sentence that I'd like to quote - so you'll have to believe me!
Possibly your use of 'demise' as a verb is a stretch too far? I don't think one can 'demise something'. 'the sun's demise of night's cover' reads as 'the sun's death of night's cover' for that's what demise is, a noun. But I'll allow it in gratitude for all the stretched words that were weird but legitimate! In a poem, okay, but maybe too much in poetic prose. But maybe not!
The tears into the river has to be mentioned for it was a very powerful image and the scream was excellent too. In fact you maintained the standard right to the end, which is hard to do with that kind of piece.
One doubt I have. Your point about the frail human being allowed into heaven, as a kind of 'one over the powerful river' is at first reading a telling blow, but on further thought, isn't ALL creation meant to be redeemed and renewed? After all, there is a river running down the middle of the street in the new Jerusalem in Revelation, so maybe your note of triumphalism, though natural in one who has suffered so much at the hands of the river, should be replaced by a more forgiving note of reconciliation, in which you (the story 'you' I mean) acknowledge that in the renewed creation river and settlement will live in peace side by side, as will the wolf and the doe, the lion and the lamb. I think such an ending would gel with the holistic tone of the rest of the piece and bring more healing to the heart of the reader. Anyway, think about it - whatever, it's a brilliant article and I thank you for it.
09/08/06
Such elegant, poetic word-smithing...but somehow the message got lost among the beauty of the words. (just one reader's opinion, however)...but very eloquent and beautifully crafted like a symphony for hi-brows. Nice job.
09/11/06
Wow! What a read. I am very glad I got to read this tonight. It had so many layers, currents. Very expressive and passionate and told the story of the "river" very well. A river is a powerful thing. I fell out of my raft once on white water and was carried by its might for about a half mile, up and over rocks, under water, reaching for help that I couldn't see. You told this exceptionally well. God bless, Birdie. Keep up the super work.
09/11/06
Oh my, I don't want to a negative here, but a little salt here may benefit you more than a packet of sweetner. Liked the mystery of the work, but found its wordiness a bit too distracting. Some of the words in the phrasing didnt fit. PM me and I'll give you examples.
09/11/06
Beautiful language - you truly paint a portrait with your words. I enjoyed this!