The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1542 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I like the story...excellent point of view for parenting. Good job of writing for this topic.
A great lesson for parents and very well written indeed!
Parenting is an awesome responsibility. This story shows that well.
06/19/07
Good story. Your title caught my attention, too. Teens can learn from this and so can parents!
06/20/07
Very well-written, and I like the flashback structure. Not sure if it isn't more for adults than teens, perhaps.

Your voice is open, candid, very readable.
Very well written. This is a great message for parents but I think that a teen would also benefit from it. The would see the parent's POV and learn.
An interesting title and even more interesting piece. I think there's a lot going on and not enough words to get it out. Great job. I'm glad that you tackled this one, the tone was matched just right.
06/21/07
Great title and message. I think the line about the mother saying her "piece" should have been "peace" but that is quite minor against how well this was written.
Very well written. I enjoyed the read. Great job.
Jackie, I liked this one. What a great message to remind fathers of the importance of sharing wisdom with their sons!
Jackie, I liked this when I read it previously. It really illustrates your verse well. A free Methodist paper EVANGEL publishes stories like this. I can see it, as well, a good fit for a magazine about Christian parenting. The only suggestion I would make is to say something about having made the same "warden" comment to your son that your mom had made to you.
Jackie, I had liked this when I read it previously. You illustrated your verse perfectly. I think it would fit well in a paper like EVANGEL, a Free Methodist Publication, or in a Christian parenting magazine.
The only suggestion I would make would be to show somewhere that you had make the same "warden" comment to your son.
I like the coninuation of the lessons from generation to generation. I think you might be able to punch up the message a little bit more. While it's a very good and important message, it tneds to fall a little flat.
Just a little polishing is all this needs. Very nicely done.
06/26/07
This is definitely an excellent message. I think it would work in a Sunday School take-home paper. I agree with Betty's comment, though, about strengthening the message a bit.
06/27/07
Nice piece and yes, I too believe you should find a home for it so it can reach more people. Many parents today want to bury their heads in the sand rather than watch and train a child. Parenting cannot be done in a lazy fashion. It takes boldness. Great message.
I, too, find this well written and right on for the sited scripture. The story demonstrates that such lessons and admonitions are timeless. I liked the bond between the parent and child and the real sense of emotions you showed for both.
I wonder if the parent had also warned the son about being the warden over the house and the "talk" could be reinforced with some dialogue from the son. All-in-all, I would say go for the publication - parents do need a template sometimes.