The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2091 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/27/06
Thank you for voicing what many feel and experience in the dark hours of service. Well done.
Oh, I loved this!! You've touched the raw centre of emotion that many of us feel in Christian service, when our expectations do not match the reality... the feelings of insignificance when we thought we would be blessed for doing something "significant"...

You've hit the nail on the head with your last few sentences. "Slay my selfishness." It's all about God, not about us. Our reward is in serving; our peace comes out of humility. This story touched me, and I'm sure it has resonance for many. God bless you.
10/31/06
I love the repetition and the raw emotion. Good writing!
11/01/06
"Fill this jar of clay." I love this line. It gave me goosebumps! The repetiion of the line, "Where are You, God?" was very effective in this piece. Wonderful ending paragraph!
11/03/06
Congratulations on placing, Sharlyn. This was especially beautiful. It was also good to see missionaries portrayed as REAL people with doubts, reactions to stress, questions.... In so many entries this week, missionaries were portrayed as being pretty much perfect - which is, of course, ridiculous. But you took something that is very real and made it beautiful even in the pain. Well done.
This is so gripping and real. The ending is beautifully thought provoking. Wonderful work!
02/21/08
I so appreciated your leaving a comment on my "Free Speech" article so we could connect this way. You have given your reader a glimpse into the heart of every missionary, I have no doubt. Just like Peter, if we're distracted by the storm around us and our human frailty, we're bound to sink. But still, Jesus bids us come to Him, walking ON the water. Oh glorious Truth, Who is the Way!

Thanks muchly, friend, I appreciate you muchly and am always delighted to find your name under one of my stories.