The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1291 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/08/06
Often articles like this end with the child not being ill, but this one is more poignant. Nicely done. Well written, flows well.
06/10/06
I truly liked the way this was written. I felt like I was there throughout it all. Good job!
06/12/06
As the sister of a young man with Down's Syndrome, I so appreciated this piece! I understand your protagonist's fears, and I'm glad you gave her a strong husband and a strong faith.

One minor thing: Down's Syndrome isn't really a disease, which implies that it can be "caught" or acquired. It's a genetic condition. I'm sure that Julie will learn that as she gets to know more about her precious baby!

Nicely written--peace in the midst of the storm.
Beautifully done. You captured my attention from the beginning and kept it all the way. Good job.
06/14/06
Nice story! I think because of the word limitation you had to squish the doctor's words into that short paragraph, which made it seem somewhat unrealistic. I would suggest taking out the direct quote and just having Julie mull over bits and pieces of what he said. Otherwise, this is a great entry!