The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 572 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is a superb article with such a positive, yet realistic message. I could visualize the whole story in my mind. This is a winner, and deserves strong consideration in the top 3 rankings. Keep up the wonderful stories that I have grown to love and look forward to each week!

God Bless!
This is a well written "could be" life story.

The true emotions flowed from the story.

Just the right amount of conversation.
This is an interesting piece. Every household must put God first for Him to hold it together.
08/16/14
This was a great story with an even more important message. A home that puts Christ at the top of the list will be able to handle the storms much better.

To give a little more helpful feedback, I had some trouble figuring what was going on in the beginning. It might just be me.
08/17/14
This was a sweet story filled with emotions along with an important message. God should always be first and everything else will fall into place as this tender story expressed.

Well done, great job!

God bless~
08/17/14
So sweet and tender! What a loving couple. I enjoyed the tone and intent.

I would like to make a few opinions on what would, to me, make this a stellar piece.

Use active description. If you go back and see all the "was, had, is etc.." passive words. these tell and put the emphasis on the wrong part. Use active description. It shows instead of tells the story.

Your first line/paragraph needs to grab us. I would have used the one paragraph when he came home, "It was now three o’clock in the morning and the sound of gravel crunching in the driveway made my heart jump into my throat. Dirk was home. I looked out the kitchen window and saw a sleepy, exhausted, downhearted man dragging himself out of the car. My heart ached."

That would have drawn us in to find out, "Why".

Great job.

Hope this helps.

God bless.
08/20/14
I enjoyed the story. It was very sweet and reminded me of a time long ago. Nice job.
08/21/14

This is a very homey piece with good marriage ethics.

However, like Jason I found the beginning a little confusing. I wasn't quite sure if you were at the house of the accident victim or yours...wasn't sure if the story was about Helen or Lucy. You can also use short sentences to make special emphasis instead of using "and" frequently...just a suggestion.

You presented a lovely story however. Well done. Keep writing.