The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1094 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/19/05
Very creative POV, and you avoided the pat ending...thanks! Work on comma and apostrophe usage, and you'll be moving up a level in no time.
Historical fiction is difficult. Nice job. Good feeling for the era.
09/21/05
Great story and wonderful description. The next thing for you to work on is tightening up your point of view. But this is a really great start! Well done!
You've done a great job of re-telling this familiar story and from the Roman POV (how creative!). Just watch changes of POV - you started from Flavian's but then let Jospeh's and the innkeeper's perspective creep in. Show by their actions what you want conveyed (e.g. annoyance, tiredness after a long trip) rather than telling us. Well written. God Bless. JJ
09/27/05
Karen, this was a good entry that with a bit of tweaking, could be very good. As some of the others have said, the punctuation needs a bit of work - it sometimes isn't in the right spots. It's little things like this: "The middle-aged inn-keeper, was annoyed.." That comma is unnecessary.

Also, that shift in point of view was a big problem for the reader. It's amazing how something like that can throw us off track (we're very easily throw-off-trackable). But the message and the story itself were good. You're definitely heading in the right direction. Love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator)
Great story! I enjoyed the descriptions of the first part.