The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1780 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/08/06
Such a masterful potrayal of a difficult time. Excellent!
06/08/06
Very touching. Straight from the heart to the heart. Great job.
06/09/06
wow, that's beautifully written. well done!
06/10/06
Wow - your words paint pictures with this one while they also touch the heart. A magic moment indeed.
06/10/06
Very touching story.
Touching, and beautifully written story! It flowed so well from beginning to end!
06/12/06
Very beautiful, very sad. This was my favourite line: 'I dare to return the gaze and find myself plunging momentarily through black pupils into her dark, lonely soul. It is deathly there, empty and cold.'
I'll be amazed if this doesn't place.
06/13/06
What a blessing that moment of clarity must have been! This is beautiful, and I suspect it was hard to write, but I'm so glad that you wrote it.
06/13/06
Wow! What a touching picture of love and sacrifice. Perfect ... and beautiful.

Well crafted and well written - bittersweet.

Excellent job Beth.
06/13/06
Well written on a subject so many of us either are facing or will face. Thank you - it may help someone understand a parent's aging.
06/14/06
Wow, Beth. I hope that writing this piece has been healing for you, as I'm sure it is therapeutic to anyone going through the same thing. Your willingness to be vulnerable really makes this personal and touching. Great job!
Very moving. Thanks for a glimpse into another world.
I am in awe. You took me there. I walked in your shoes, felt the hoping, groping heart of the daughter, in the face of grinding dismay and heartache. This has got to be one of the most powerfully crafted POV's I've ever experienced!
"Our hearts meld right there under the sighing tree branches amidst dapples of sunshine." Wow. But no sugar-coated ending here. "I clutch the calm and refuse to let go." You left me beyond tears. This one's going in my Favorites. Purely a winner, in my book!
Hooray! No surprise here. Well-deserved congrats, Beth! (This was my favorite of the week!)
06/15/06
This was wonderful Beth, and you did such a fantastic job with your descriptions - you deserve 1st place with this one.
06/15/06
Congratulations, Beth. I'm really glad this won.
06/16/06
A heart-stirring, powerful, masterpiece. I feel like crying. Wish I had the words to adequately praise this, Beth. It is one of my favorite entries, ever. I pray you will submit it to other publications.
Beth, this is beautiful and heart-wrenching. I watched my own mother shuffle through our home after being treated for severe depression in a similar manner (thank God she recovered). I don't know if this is true, but it sure has that ring. Excellent writing.
06/20/06
Beth, I wanted to take a moment and congratulate you on your placing! Also to say this piece was beyond magnificent. I was right there beside you and your mother. Exceptionally well written - a much deserved win! Lynda
Beth, this is an outstanding piece. Your descriptive use of words was excellent. Congratulations on your win.