The Procrastinator's Patch Forum

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow, mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow, mikeedwards, cori67, beaedwards, RedBaron, itsjoanne, Sparrow

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus »

KannJ wrote:
Don't get me wrong...I am NOT upset in any way...I am perplexed.
I can easily say that for myself, but I try not to get too disappointed, especially when I consider situations like yours. When I get 13th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 19th, 17th, 18th, etc. on a regular basis, though, it's can be awfully discouraging, knowing that I came so close but somehow missed the mark.

And then I write a great piece, get great comments (including those oh-so-familiar death blows - "you'll place high!") and not even make the Top 40. Go figure. :? I chalk it up to the fact that there's a lot of great writers here and we can't ALL place every week. :roll:
brokenpencil
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

In Line

Post by brokenpencil »

Would it be ok if I say Amen! What makes us stronger and what we long for? I'm am sorry the only way i get answers is through poems as i pray. Procratination is like no sand in my toes, who knows. I feel like this poem needs to be in the poets corner but its my reminder of my battles and what i had to face with procratination. The Longing

The longing seed, words endeavor.
Like the Bible is transparent, a division of truth.
Hike behind the heart ,no need to seek you.
The mask of a stranger, masks mystery.
Judge the knowledge of self, you know if your innocent or guilty.

You know to procratinate i am still dealing with LOL.
Where Is Superman?

The world seems to need a real superman and how.
God’s plan is for man to spread love around now.
You will be the hero where ever you go.
Long as you don’t be hating, love is what you show.

Benny Diaz 9/10/08
Anniel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Anniel »

Good poem- certainly add it to the Poet's corner and perhaps in the critique circle to fine-tune it.
GreenLeaves
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by GreenLeaves »

I was encouraged to check out this forum by Pup, but ...

I have to say, I'm having a hard time to relating to being discouraged when you are IN THE TOP 40. I would be dancing on the rooftops. I have only made it twice and was truly humbled to be there. Granted, I haven't been around long and I'm still learning and growing....

I guess it's just a matter of perspective, isn't it?

Carol Penhorwood
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence
JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy »

Now now Carol, the whole purpose of this thread it to admit that your DO on occasion set things aside to do later.

Or was it just to have fun while NOT doing what you were suppose to in the third place. (Third place because first and second are covered by really important stuff, like how many marshmallows you can fit in a tea cup.)
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.
dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub »

When I get around to it, I will reply ...
"Here I am Lord, send me."
Shepherd
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: The Procrastinator's Patch Forum

Post by Shepherd »

Deb Porter wrote:Welcome to the Procrastinator's Patch. The fact you're here is probably a good sign that you are being a procrastinator. In case you aren't sure, here's the definition:
pro⋅cras⋅ti⋅nate

verb, -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
–verb (used without object)
1. to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost.
–verb (used with object)
2. to put off till another day or time; defer; delay.

Procrastination isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes just taking some time out and admitting you're mucking around rather than working can do you good. Other times you know you need a good kick in the pants to get back to work. Or maybe someone to cheer you one when you just can't quite open that document and get going again.

So the new Procrastinator's Patch will be a place to come and do one of three things:

1. Happily waste time.
2. Get a kick to get going.
3. Be encouraged as you break the procrastination barrier.

Please note: serious procrastinators only. :wink:

Love, Deb
This is very funny! Made me laugh as I think of all the ways I have made one excuse after another for not doing things ha ha! Although I must say, now I have a 6 year old, I haven't the time to procrastinate LOl! God bless... :superhappy
rtodd5011
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rtodd5011 »

I hate to think that I maybe have writers block. i written for the last 3 weekly challenges, and yes I am a 3 week newby, and have not placed in a challenge as of yet. This weeks word is easy enough, but im trying to think outside of the box, and I feel like I have made it too hard on myself. Writing should be easy and fun for the most part, and thats they way it has been for me. Critiqueing is where the work comes in for me. SO i am blocked, I usually had written something by now and have it in my critique group. I dont think its procrastinating when my mind cant think of anything to write. It would be easy for me to use a scripture and write a devotional up i just dont want to do that. Now its Monday afternoon and the thursday deadline is coming up.Maybe someone just needs to slap me upside the head, to wake up my mind. At any rate the clock is ticking...

~ Richard
Faithwriters Profile

Grace is God's invisible hand reaching down and touching the heart of sinful man. It is not restricted to only a select few. It does not hesitate but boldly goes where no man has gone. The grace of God goes the distance to reach those deep hurting and bleeding places. But more than that it takes and heals and delivers and restores. We should all want to get in that special place where God pours out His healing grace. The Sacred Place of God's Grace
dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub »

Am considering posting here.
oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands »

dub wrote:Am considering posting here.

:typing2 :sleep
Don't wait too long.

Blessings,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub »

Uh, intended to post here, but have something to do, I will be back, maybe later.
dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub »

Okay, like I have some time, maybe I will post something after a nap.
trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell »

Hi - Trudy here

I want to write, and believe I have something to offer. Part of my problem (outside of the usual - no time) is I have so many ideas. Right now I have a project I'm working on about my time as a missionary, and the way God can use anyone. I think this will be a family only thing right now - as they know me, and won't get the wrong idea. Another is a Christmas novel based on the wisemen's trip to Bethlehem. I get stuck on character formation - and I want it to be fun, but true to the Bible and history. There are other things. How do you prioritize? I have finally committed myself to a certain amount of time each day (well most days) for writing.

I have also check out a lot of other writing sites, etc. Faithwriters gets right to the point without the mess.

Trust this will be a new beginning for me.Thanks for this website!
Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

I'm new to Faith writers, but I already know procrastination is a problem with me. Two years ago I wrote this about it - and haven't gotten much done since. :?

I have Writer’s Block. I peck at the keys, but it is unproductive. To move forward, I need to regroup. In many ways, this is what Jesus was doing when he retreated to the desert. After his baptism, Jesus needed to take a long hard look at what kind of messiah he was called to be.
Jesus was driven into the desert by the spirit. He needed to back away from the immediate pressures and determine where to go, what to do next. It wasn’t until after this period of seeking self awareness that he was prepared to launch his public ministry. To get beyond writer’s block, I need to find my own “desert place” – a place free from everyday distractions. It’s during this quiet time that I seek self-awareness, when I can relook at my values, priorities and goals before proceeding.
Self-awareness involves understanding who I really am, what are my unique gifts, my strengths, and my blessings. It also involves recognizing my weaknesses and limitations. To be self-aware I need to know my goals and priorities. Only then can I examine my current work and lay out future plans by objectively comparing them with those internal standards and values.
In the desert, Jesus used fasting, prayer, reflection, and meditation to connect with God. To break free of Writer’s Block, I might do well to try the same process. At the very least, I wouldn’t be madly snacking away my frustration while I wait in vain for an inspiration. I might meditate on those needs that drive my behavior and shape my writing. Self-esteem, affection, belongingness, achievement, self-actualization, power and control are commonly named needs, but only a few are really central for any one person. I must to watch that none of these get between me and God’s message, for that’s when my writer’s block really sets in. Fully human, Jesus had to deal with these basic needs, too. Luke tells us that the devil tried to tempt him with offers of power and external possessions. Fortunately for us, he resisted and was able to show us how to love and serve God with all our hearts, souls, and might.
Jesus went in to the desert to foster self awareness, not self esteem. Self-esteem is a one sided view, important to personal image, but imbalanced. Without self-awareness, it can become distorted into a false sense of self importance and an inability to cope with failure. If Christ were only seeking self-esteem, the devil’s temptations might have been more successful. I have to remember in my writing that it isn’t my success I’m seeking. I’m not the master creator, only a simple worker. My words are only one of God’s tools. When I remember that, writer’s block starts to fade away.
We are called to enter into the forty days of Lent to develop our own self awareness, not to boost our self esteem. If we remember that, we should each be able to get through our own variety of writer’s block.
everlearning
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by everlearning »

Thanks so much for the Procrastinator's Patch Forum. I had to admit to myself tonight that I could have been active on Faithwriters several years ago, but made every kind of excuse as to why I couldn't get started. Well, I finally made the decision and am stepping out of my little shell to put my fears behind me and will become active on forums, articles, challenges, and critiques. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and a sound mind. So I will trust the Lord for this too.

Return to “Open Forum - General Writing Discussion”