The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 961 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/03/15

The images that cropped up in my head with that title almost made me bypass reading it. LOL. But, it was a cute read.

Good job.

God bless~
12/03/15
The dialogue between Wrigley and the mom was well written; it sounds just like something a young boy would say.

Very cleverly written with a clear message.

I'm not entirely sure, but this story has Shann's flavoring added to it.
12/04/15
This was adorable read. Its snot as bad as it sounds. This story was remarkably tasty.
12/05/15
The conversation as well as the overall wording was so well done,it was as though I was there!
12/05/15
A very humorous and well written article. I enjoyed this one a lot.
12/06/15
Good characterising and dialogue that wrap around some interesting ideas in an enjoyable read.
Interesting title. ;)

I liked the tie-in with Wrigley's name. It seems like most of us hate our names at some point, and when other kids use it as an excuse to bully, it's worse. I thought that was a realistic situation to use in your article.

My red ink would be the dialogue. Some of it did seem a little preachy and unrealistic for a third-grader. I liked how you tied in the lesson with the stew, though. Maybe it could have been a little more indirect or Wrigley a little less cooperative. Kids tend to either look like they aren't listening and surprise you or not listen at all until they're proven wrong and the adult correct.

I think Wrigley relating tapioca to snot was right on. Kids have a knack for bringing anything inappropriate - related to bodily functions - up at the table. My family rarely gets through a meal when we have to remind at least one child to mind manners in that regard. :)

Good job on a sweet and interesting read.

God bless!
I KNEW this was you! I also love reading and writing "snot" stories, and you always deliver! I also appreciate your comments on all entrants, as I learn so much from you . . .
The title is why I read it in the first place. Sounds like something a kid might say. I loved it. :-)
A fun, enjoyable story for sure. Your characters are vivid and real, not just words.

God bless
12/10/15
I too almost bypassed this because of the title, I have a weak stomach and the visual the title brought had my stomach churning just reading the title, much less wondering if I was going to be grossed out! LOL But I liked the way the stew was used as a lesson tool and how the child's perception of the stew was changed.
12/10/15
Oh bless you Shann. How thoughtful of you to end the year with copious quantities of the delightful nasal gunk. I would like to believe you did it especially for me, but apparantly not as I've repeatedly told you I prefer the green variety, however I will get over it.

I have to agree with the above comments, your characterisation and dialogue were excellent and the storyline flowed beautifully. For the new year please could I request another Wrigley storyline, but this time with a touch of regurgitated gastric content, and if it's not too much trouble a leakage from the opposite end would be good. ;-)
12/14/15
Shann, Congratulations on your 12th place win overall! Happy Dance. I have saved many of the Wrigley's stories.
12/15/15
Congratulations, Shann.

I'm glad to see your story in the top 15.
When I saw the title I wondered if it would be about okra stew. Now that would truly be snot stew. I loved reading it. I LOL every time I think of the title.