The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1190 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/31/09
Oh, very good. I figured this was a soldier, but the time period surprised me. I liked the anticipation, and wondering exactly where they were going. Great job.
02/03/09
Wonderful atmosphere and feel to this piece. I completely felt transformed in location and time. Beautifully done.
I was full of suspense wondering where he was off to. I liked the way you created the atmosphere of the family and village and what struck me most was the way you eluded to the importance of letter writing (and personal journaling) back then. In many ways it was the only source of communication...we are so spoiled now-a-days; and those previous communiques are truly to be valued.
02/03/09
Very good, and I appreciate that you cause us to see the human side of the "other" side. Brits had mothers, too!
02/03/09
What a wonderful establishment of setting and atmosphere...touching story. Well done!
This is a masterpiece of characterization and emotion.
02/04/09
You captured something I think gets missed in young men going off as soldiers. The lingering question, spoken or not that asks if they'll ever see home again.
02/09/09
Your descriptions and characterization are superb. Well done.