The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1000 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/04/09
These are awesome memories of your mom and dad. Thank you for sharing;)
06/04/09
I enjoyed your mention of the "One-Liner Police" as you traced your personal growth, flanked by two ancient cultures that combine hard-won wisdom with a dash of humour.
A good read.
06/09/09
Very good voice and good job with the dialect. I laughed out loud at the part about being chased by his dad with his slipper. You did a good job of "describing" the dad by his actions--I could see him running and waving his slipper about. Very good job with the topic.
06/09/09
My favorite part is the "suffering from a double dose of original sin." Great discription of some kids -not mine, of course. :)
06/09/09
Great dialect, and a super voice. This piece has excellent atmosphere and kept me interested.
06/09/09
Loved the dialogue and dialect here, it really makes your characters come to life. We Americans really need to learn the lesson of appreciation. We have it way too good.
06/10/09
Father/mother communication must have been a hoot! Youth often fails to see value in the everyday. I was wondering what was set on the table at dinnertime?

Mona
06/10/09
Very interesting piece. The eccentric parents' critical banter made it for me. Thanks - Colin
06/10/09
Oh, I'm so glad I finally read this! I love old proverbs, and there's even a game that my family plays that uses proverbs from other cultures. This was a SUPER read!
06/10/09
I had to laugh at the image of your father chasing you around the house with his slipper! I could hear these proverbs being recited to you! What a heritage you received. :)
Heehee! I loved the description of the two extremely different parents! The proverbs all mixed in were wonderful too! What a fun read!
06/11/09
I really like this story about your parents. I have a daughter-n-law from Turkey and she resorts to her native tongue when she gets angry with my son. The only Turkish word I know means donkey in English. Great voices for both your parents.