The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 6756 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/15/09
These lines are particularly wonderful: "A country of wonderfully insane contradictions. A place where we foolishly waste fortunes on South American worms while at the same time give even more to those who only dream of attempting something so bold. A place where the greatest of intentions are held in place by the slimmest of hopes. A place where a few are even willing to die to ensure others the right to ridicule those who died for them." Very good.
Makes one think...

Blessings on your writing.
01/17/09
Incredible descriptions, and I especially like the last couple paragraphs. Beautiful.
You introduced a real, wonderful American character to us.
An interesting character that probably exists somewhere in this great land.
01/20/09
Love the descriptions of the "inner sanctum", and the quirky character you created.
01/22/09
This was superb.Congrats on the biggest of wins...you so deserved it.
01/22/09
Congratulations on your 1st place. This is beautifully written. Clark, and your MC, are great Americans.
01/22/09
Congratulations on a wonderful entry! Beautifully descriptive and deeply touching.
01/22/09
An excellent piece with beautifully written insight.
01/23/09
Congratulations Tim! I particularly enjoyed the last paragraph- powerful writing.
01/23/09
Congratulations on your top-flight entry! The characters were delightfully drawn, the scene wonderfully described! Excellent writing and worthy of first place honor! :)
01/23/09
Clark Dobbs was so well "shared" with the reader that I think I know him.
You did a sophisticated approach using common man. Made me think. Congrats on winning.
01/23/09
This is a great story with a powerful message. Your descriptive writing made every sentence come alive for me--especially the MC. Your final paragraph wrapped this up nicely. Congrats on a well deserved win.
Wow! Congratulations, I can certainly understand why this piece took 1st. I don't have to read another entry to get that. This is the perfect analogy of our wonderful, conflicted, generous, yet slightly "touched" country. God bless you for writing it! :)
01/28/09
I can see why this entry placed first. Though I haven't read the competition, I would have given it high markings as well--such excellent characterization in so short of space. I enjoyed the actual writing as well, like the phrasing: "Clark’s house was a two room affair sitting on stilts in the middle of his little catfish pond". It made me chuckle myself, sharing in the amusement of the narrator. I suppose you need more critiques than praises, but I can't offer that on this one.
good stuff, Tim. very good.
07/01/09
Sooooo good Tim. SO glad I had a reason to read this again - and CONGRATULATIONS on third place in BoB!
07/01/09
CONGRATULATIONS, TIM! Your entry is wonderful and so deserving of a place in the top 3. :-)
Congratulations, Tim, on being in the top three for BOB. The character you created so skillfully deserved a winning place.
Congratulations, Tim. Reading this one has little doubt as to your ability to write and develop memorable characters that leave an imprint on our hearts and minds.
07/01/09
That's neat. Thought-provoking, draws the reader in to see something different and see through different eyes. Congratulations.
07/01/09
Really cool analogy, Tim. And lots of colorful and interesting words. Congrats on your BOB placing.
~SisJ
07/02/09
Tim, Tim, Tim; excellent work. The descriptions in here are so vivid.

Congrats on 3rd place BoB!
07/02/09
I knew a man like this. This so aptly gets to "bottom line". Congrats, Tim, on the high honor you received with this story!
07/02/09
What a neat story. It should teach each of us a lesson on judging another. Everyone here has been created by our God, and for a purpose. You certainly brought that thought out. Bless you, and, may we all learn the lesson well!
07/05/09
Congratulations on your BOB award! It is well deserved, and speaks so truly of our USA. With all its faults, we're so blessed to be here.
Loved reading this! What a fine example of how an ordinary encounter with an extraordinary person can turn into a story that carries so much inspiration. Congratulations on your well-deserved win!
10/08/09
Absolutely brilliant! A read that not only fascinated, educated, touched me and almost moved me to tears with the simplicity of the story. Written like a Pro - and well worth your Win. (Haven't read the 1st and 2nd winners as of yet - but when I do...I may even come back to tell you I liked yours best! Congratulations! Better late than never! You gave me a new look at our Motherland...and at a time I needed it badly. Thanks! Great job!
10/27/09
Very poignant! What characterization! Can't even imagine any criticisms. Great writing!!
I am quite late in congratulating you, Tim. Better late than never, though. I enjoyed your USA story very much,and I'm so glad it placed in the Best of the Best.
03/16/10
Wow. That was fantastic. Our house is a mighty fine house indeed. Thanks for the reminder.
Congrats on being #3 BOB!!!!!!!! :-D