The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 3117 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/05/08
Love is spoken here. Excellent descriptions. Wish I'd grown up here.
Thanks.
06/05/08
Call me—I'll buy it! Terrific description—it made me want to be there.
06/07/08
That last line TRULY says it all. Wonderful descriptions, and I love the "bookends."
06/07/08
Yes, I think I could hear your "voiced blended in harmony 'neath "The Old Rugged Cross." This story of this house is heart-warming, I love your final sentence. Very creative!
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love this line: The tears of mourning, the whispers of love, the laughter of birth still float from the shadowy corners. Great writing. I want to buy it, also.
Superb, Absolutely superb. You made me yearn for just a touch of this love and beauty. This is one of the best I've read this week :- )
06/08/08
Superb! I love the way it's framed in the classified ad, and the idea of what the narrator would really like to say about the house.
I hope there is no buyer, either. There is much love reflected in this house and this piece. Very well done.
06/08/08
Fantastic descriptions. I laughed at the screen door part (I remember hearing that). This is one of my favorites this week.
You can't put a price on this kind of dwelling place.

Especailly liked the steps worn by sleepy feet.
06/09/08
This is beautiful and it brought to my mind many remembrances of old farmsteads I visited as a child. Your descriptions are so vivid, I could almost taste the molasses doughnuts; sound so good, too! Never heard of those before. Love this tender story.
Lovely descriptions throughout. Made me feel as though I was right there. I can see how hard it must have been for you to write about something so close to your heart. Well done.
NOrms
This is a masterpiece of description! I hope it places HIGH. I know it does for me. This is a keeper.
06/10/08
I want to know where this place is because I want it! Even if it is only in your imagination...
I love your old farm house. It reminds me so much of our farm house here. It too has generations of memories held within its walls. I really loved this piece.
I loved this. I like how you took a tiny classified ad and then richly expanded upon it to describe what the house truly was. There is so much detail in this. I am amazed that you fit it all within 750 words. One of my favorites this week.
06/12/08
Love this!!!! Congratulations on 1st place overall!!!!!
Congrats, Vonnie! ^_^ I really liked this-especially the act of counting the letters and putting it up for sale. The last line is lovely! ^_^
1st place overall! Yay, Yvonne! Congratulations!
06/12/08
Congratulations on your 1st place--this is excellent. The format is so creative, and the writing superb. Great job with the topic.
06/12/08
Congratulation on your first place win...A different approach to the story, a description of the home and activities...House for sale? You can buy a house if you have the money, but you CAN'T buy a home! The LOVE in the home would never be for sale...Helen
06/12/08
This was awesome. So many little details that I just loved. Great job and congrats on placing!
06/12/08
Yay Evonne! Congrats on 1st place!
06/12/08
Didn't I tell you I thought you'd
place very high? Love ya.
06/12/08
Congrats on 1st place. Well deserved. Still one of my favorites this week.
Congratulations!
06/12/08
Wow! Congratulations, Vonnie-dear! Wow! I love it! It is just wonderful. And the screen door comment brought back lots of memories -- LOL! Great writing! Magnificent!
06/12/08
I've never had such a wonderful old place of my own to love, but you made me feel at home here and made your memories my own. Thanks for this.
06/12/08
Congratulations on your big win. This was a beautifully written sentimental story. I like how you started and ended the piece as well.
06/12/08
Congratulations on your big win. This was a beautifully written sentimental story. I like how you started and ended the piece as well.
06/12/08
Congratulations, Vonnie!! So happy for you!!
Again, I say, I love your style of writing. I can match your passion but never your imagination and creativity. Maybe one day. Congratulations!
Congratulations! I LOVE it - heart warming but heart breaking. The last line is absolutely perfect.
06/13/08
Oh...I felt my heart tug, really I did! Well done and congrats on 1st place.
06/15/08
Such a creative take on the topic, and well done on your placing.
09/25/08
Totally incredible seen through the generation's eyes of love! Being married to the builder (we have moved 16 times in 23 years) I can only wonder what it would be to be able to write about a house like this from my heart (and if it was really for sale, I too hope it didn't sell!)