The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 457 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/26/16
The plight of remembering passwords resonates with me greatly. I too use a cryptic system to track my passwords.

You wrote an accurate story of what computer users face daily.

I am perplexed, however, about not using the Yahoo account in eight years, and not recalling passwords, yet you were checking emails. Something seems off.
05/26/16
I usually go through Microsoft outlook out. this time I chose not to because of the slow internet at the café. Thus the problem.
05/27/16
Interesting, and a frustrating experience obviously. I did notice some punctuation errors, so that is something to be aware of.
05/27/16
Great title for your entry this week. I liked how you set the scene for your readers with your descriptions. How frustrating forgetting a password! Well written.
05/30/16
I thought your descriptions were well done in this. I can totally relate to the password problem and can especially understand the panic in a foreign country. Yikes!
You have a delightful sense of humor. It really propelled me forward and left me with a grin on my face. I could relate. If not for my hubby, my computer would have been thrown through the window ages ago.

I'm guessing this is a true story, so the show don't tell mantra isn't a perfect fit, but there are ways to spice up nonfiction. For example, you might be able to do something like this: After arriving in Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands, our hosts warned us. "Don't wonder off alone. The mosquitoes are huge. Most importantly, be aware of poisonous snails." Rolling my eyes, I thought, Seriously, I have to worry about snails? They eat them in France! I quickly found out to be diligent at all times when I went to sit on the toilet seat and discovered the slimy pest staring at me. First, I wrapped my arms around my body, squealed, and then thanked God for the warning and that I was already in the bathroom.

Of course, I took a lot of liberties that may not fit, but sometimes it's easier to understand if an example is given. Since you have a delightful sense of humor, I used that for inspiration. By using body language, dialog and thoughts, you can turn a true story into creative nonfiction. I also turned the passive line about warnings into an active line, which also helps the reader picture the scene.

You did a great job of capturing my interest. I think you managed to write on topic in a fun and fresh way. Your message is a good one, and the story was fun to read.
05/31/16
Delightful! And so fun to read!

Blessings~