The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1750 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/06/05
Loved the cliff hanger! Great job!
Very suspenseful! Is this going to be a novel eventually? I liked the way you had the characters speak in French and then interpreted what they said. The interpretation never sounded awkward. Good imagery at the end.
06/06/05
This did hold my attention. I love a mystery. I guess I'm just extremely dense, but I don't get it. What do the three crosses have to do with Monique?
I liked this! My favorite line is "it was hard to be emphatic in a whisper while running." :-D

It took me a minute to figure out the end, too. But then I realized what Monique was wrong about--few Christians in Northern Provinces!

Great job!
06/06/05
Excellent! I love the intensity and the drama, and would love to hear more of the story. Keep up the good work!
06/07/05
Again, you caught my attention with your opening words and held me in suspense all the way through. I am practically holding my breath waiting for the next scene.
A good suspense story well-written and spell-binding, but I also have to admit that I don't get the connection between the three crosses on the hill in France during a time with limos, etc.

Someone say that it had to do with no Christians in the provinces, but that doesn't make sense to me either. Hopefully you can set me straight in my denseness!

I do agree that this would make a good book beginning, and I love mysteries, too. Yours in Christ
06/08/05
Along with Karri, I'm left a bit confused. This story is obviously the work of a very gifted and creative writer, but either it is meant to be read by someone with more discernment than I possess or you need to give the events a bit more clarity. But you are very talented. I am curious about the title of your piece also. Can you shed some light on these 2 areas via a PM?
I spent a few hours in Calais, France. After spending a year in Firenze, Italia, I came into Calais by train. A single, American woman struggling with 4 large suitcases. A man, who I presumed to be the Porter, helped me with my bags, assured me they would be on board the ship I was taking over to Dover, England. Once underway, I began wondering around the ship and found myself waiting in line to see the Captain, as I entered the room, the Captain had his back to me, when he turned around, both he and I stood still... I realized the "Porter" who helped me with my bags was the Captain of this ship! He excused himself from everyone else...in mid sentence... and gave me the Captains tour of the ship... He had asked me to go back to Calais with him, and though I was tempted, I was scheduled to meet my best friend in London, England... I've always wondered...what if?
A Crepe Heart 3 brought back such treasured memories for me... thank you, and I look forward to the next episode!
06/09/05
Once again you transported me to another time and place. Skillful use and interpretation of the French language came just short of interrupting the flow of the story.
06/09/05
I was looking forward to the next installment and was not disapointed. :) Thank you for the creative way you explained the French for those of us who don't know the language. :)
06/10/05
Excellent, as always. :0)
I'm really starting to get into this continuing saga. Your writing is great and you keep the suspense alive.
06/11/05
Wow! The mixture of intrigue, travel and faith is lovely.
06/11/05
I'm hooked and terrified if there was someone on any of the crosses. (or all three) Better be a part 4 coming up! Oh and so very well done - (she says with a sigh waiting for the next episode)
06/16/05
What a testimony to the strength and character of winners of souls in places where their beliefs are persecuted. God bless. Especially since I learned a little "parle vous Franc'e" along the way.
06/16/05
For those who missed something in this story, I was thrown off by the title, but it intrigued me enough to find out more ...

The latter half of the sixteenth century and the beginning of the seventeenth century brought about one of the most passionate and calamitious series of wars that Europe had ever experienced. The early Reformation had been, in hindsight, remarkably free from bloodshed; the honeymoon, however, lasted only a short while. It was inevitable that the growing division between Christian churches in Europe would lead to a series of armed conflicts for over a century. Protestants and Catholics would shed each other's blood in prodigious amounts in national wars and in civil wars. These struggles would eventually shatter the European monarchical traditions themselves. The monarchy, which had always seemed an impregnable political institution, was challenged by Protestants unhappy with the rule of Catholic kings. The final result of these struggles would be the overthrow and execution of Charles I in England in the middle of the seventeenth century, an historical earthquake that permanently changed the face of Europe.

More about: The French Wars of Religion: 1562-1598 (http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/REFORM/WARS.HTM)