The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1583 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/21/08
Awesome article--masterful writing--perfect dialogue. I can feel the emotions of both Nancy and Missy--your article deeply moved me...to tears.
Ouch! This hurts. When did you put a spy camera in my house? With two long-haired, tender-headed daughters, I can so relate to this scenario. Now, if mom (ME) could be more tender-HEARTED life would be better. You really put me there, in the middle of the scene. I was moved, and convicted. Excellent writing. Thank you for sharing this. (And I'm hiding all the scissors)
02/22/08
Will you please get out of my house?? ;) This is incredibly powerful. Your dialog, action, and emotions are JUST right. Thank you for a lesson I REALLY needed today - at this very moment. Excellent.
02/24/08
Nice touch to start and end the article with reflection in the mirror. Also good to see the mother apologising to her daughter, something which is very important yet many parents will not do that, as they think it makes them look weak. In fact, children respect parents who apologise when they make a mistake.
02/24/08
Beautifully written--you could just feel the tension and frustration, and the grace shining through at the end.
02/25/08
Very good and so true to life. My 5 kids, big as they are have driven me nuts today - this was a good reminder to stop and take a moment to pray. Thank you.
02/25/08
You definitely captured the stress of motherhood. Your descriptions of the hair-cutting incident were great, complete with school scissors. Your last "reflections" paragraph was wonderful and in light of this your title is perfect. Great work!
02/25/08
Very, very good, Dallas Girl. A very honest and well delivered message that was masterfully written. You keep getting better and better. Great characterization, I could sense the frustrations from both parties. I loved the title too. God bless.
Oh yes! Great writing. I could hear both the mother and daughter speaking... okay, yelling sometimes. Very well done Laura, very well done indeed.
This is so realistic and the lesson is a great reminder. Excellent writing, one of my favorities this week.
02/25/08
Wow, Laura! I think we've all been in situations much like this with our daughters. I could feel the pain of both. Truly great writing!
Laury
02/25/08
Spying on people is NOT fair!! This one hit too close to home for comfort...bucket loads of tears have been shed at our house over tangled hair and an angry mom. There's great truth here, and not just for tangled hair. Super job!! I'll remember this next time I pick up a brush.
Ooooooohhh, I'm goosebumpy all over! So real! VERY good piece.
This was such a good story. You captured my attention from beginning to end. I hung on every word. Great writing.
I guess this is cutting off hair to spite the head. :-)
I also liked the reflection of the sun catcher. Your title was encompassed on so many levels.
02/26/08
I love this, 'cause it felt so real. I could see this happening--and the total regret and remorse from both parties. Very good writing--love the dialogue.
Great title for a wonderfully touching piece, tears worked at my eyes as I read your tender ending. Thank you!
Uh, yeah been there. Very excellent piece of real life. Going to pray now...great job, Laura.
I love this line... “Next time we’re mad at each other, Mommy will just stop and say a prayer, ok?”
A great reminder! Excellent story all the way through!
ouch. The title hits this just right. I liked the ending though, I'm glad that they were able to come to the right conclusion-to stop and pray about it. The characters were good and I liked the bit with the humming bird! I had a feeling that Missy would cut her hair off, nice job! ^_^
I really, really liked the way you told this story and I certainly liked the way your opening and closing sentence began and summed it up "The bathroom mirror reflected more than outward appearances that day." Wonderful job and Nancy and Missy are both great characters! BTW when I was much younger, I cut off my curly hair to spite my mom - so this brought back a few memories, too.
02/27/08
I don't have to deal with hair--but I do have to deal with children and I could relate to this. This line got me --"After all, I’m the mother. I’m supposed to be the calm one." Thanks for the reminder about lifting up our daily frustrations in prayer. Excellent writing.
So many good things have been said about this wonderful story. I loved beginning and ending with the mirror. I loved the reality of the story, but most of all, I loved the message of grace. I hope the story is a winner. It is for me!
02/28/08
So many regrets come to us as moms when we lose our cool! Your story really brought out all the emotions in these kinds of conflicts. I love the way you brought the ending back around to grace...just perfect.
This reminded me of my sister and my niece. It seems like when my sister is in a bad mood, she gets my niece grumpy too. I'm very glad that this mother realized what was happening and turned to God for help. That is a good lesson for us all to learn, whether we are parents or not.

I got a little confused at first when it said that the mother stomped through Missy's messy room, but then I realized that Missy was probably a nickname for Melissa.

Great story. Thank you so much for sharing it.
03/05/08
I really enjoyed this and I found myself relating to the mom with her attitude of impatience instead of patience. This really hit that emotional mommy button. Well written. I thought you did an excellent job of writing exactly how the little girl was speaking. I could almost hear her whining and then later spluttering after she caught off her hair.