The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1619 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/30/07
Excellent dialog and characterization. This story kept me engaged from beginning to end.
This reminds me so very much of a friend of ours, a preacher, who used to go out on the shrimp-boats and witness, taking his life in his hands each time he went. He led quite a few of those hard-cases to Christ. I liked your story and because of our friend could easily indentify with it.
08/31/07
08/31/07
Terrific story--beautifully written dialogue. All the characters come alive, especially the preacher. I can just see and hear him, and also little Billy as he tells his story.

Wonderful message, too!

I was also drawn in by the title, which made me very curious about the characters.

Great job!
08/31/07
Terrific story--beautifully written dialogue. All the characters come alive, especially the preacher. I can just see and hear him, and also little Billy as he tells his story.

Wonderful message, too!

I was also drawn in by the title, which made me very curious about the characters.

Great job!
08/31/07
Love it!
09/01/07
Great story, I really enjoyed it. Turning the other cheek really can display God's love to the unbeliever.
09/01/07
Incredibly well done.
A wonderful story.
Great story. "How much does faith cost?" My heart broke for Billy.
09/02/07
I loved the title, the story, the characters, the ending! What's not to love!? Great writing.
09/03/07
What a neat character you created in this man! I like the story, and the characters, and the innocence of the poor child. I wouldn't mind reading a whole book about this creative preacher and his wife!
09/03/07
NOW I understand the Title.. the black-eyed preacher. A great story and written very well. The TV Evangelist gets most of the "pats on the back and credit" - but it's the small town minister that visits the sick, the lame and the missing that's the backbone of God's message...and obviously it isn't always easy. Enjoyed the humor throughout. Good job!
09/03/07
Great title. Great characters. Great dialogue - a really great job overall. Congrats. I liked this story very much. A puppy for sure.
09/03/07
I enjoyed this very much.

Very, very sweet and a fantastic job.
09/04/07
This was very easy to read, but it also made me sad for little Billy. I was glad that someone was willing to hear what he was saying.

Debbie
09/04/07
Such interesting characters. I really enjoyed reading this. Very well written. This is now one of my favorites.
GREAT story! I wanted to cheer when the preacher said he just kept getting back up. I think I'll go read it again. :) Excellent job! Good luck!
09/05/07
Oh, my. My heart went out to that poor boy! Thinking he had to buy more faith - bless his heart! Great characters - excellent storytelling. Well done.
You captured my attention from the title to the last sentence. This was a great read!
I really LOVE the voice in this piece. I'm wondering if perhaps Mr Horton's change of heart was a bit too abrupt?
Regardless, this is very well done. Would be fun to see it expanded so we know what happens.
09/05/07
This is wonderful. The characters and dialog are so real I could easily visualize it. Great job--and I really love the message here. :-)
09/06/07
Poor Billy. Someone should carbon-copy this reverend — he is a true pastor. Great story.
Wonderful story here. Well written. Liked your MC.
09/06/07
Excellent story. A bit confusing at the beginning but my confusion was resolved as I read on. Sounds like the makings of a novel or a movie script. Great visual images. Good luck.