The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 437 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is an interesting story. I'm eager to read what happens next and what happened before too. I think you have the foundation of a great sci-fi novel.
My one suggestion would be to try not to use as many adverbs (often -ly words). Instead pick verbs that pop. For example:
Kain pushed off the rail and wobbled to the window. His stomach somersaulted, yet he held back the urge to vomit. Microgravity didn't agree with him; but after a few tries, he managed to cling to the bars around the window.
You can see I didn't change a lot because you did have some great words that stand on their own.

I think you definitely wrote on topic in a fun and interesting way. I liked your body language and how you managed to paint a great picture for the reader.
Completely intriguing! I would love to read more!
I agree with Shann, and am offering a few more examples of ways you might further tighten the story. Removing redundancies, such as dark, black, leaves you more words to enhance the tale elsewhere. Be assured, I only take the time/effort to offer this level of red ink when I already think highly of your writing.
Kain activated the airlock door, it slid open and he dove inside, smacking the button to close and lock the door before Doc could follow.

Kain pummeled the door and spat a string of colourful curses.

"Kain, you need to stop and come back inside," droned Doc's monotone through the EVA's speakers.

"Computer," shouted Kain. "I order you to open the hatch."

Kain reached in with the mechanical fingers and manipulated something. Suddenly the locks on the hatch loosed with small successive bangs. The hatch eased open, and with a slight kick, Kain floated out into the cold, black void of space.
05/31/16
Loved this!

Blessings~
05/31/16
Love the suspense. Kept me interested all the way to the end. Left me wondering what happened before and after.

Great job!
06/02/16
Congratulations, Don, on your third place finish in the Intermediate category. Your stories are fascinating and I can't wait to read more.
Congratulations on ranking 3rd in your level and 14 overall. The highest rankings can be found on the message boards.
Congratulations, Don. I look forward to reading more of your work.