The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1035 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
11/18/06
NIce article. I seem to remember something in the Bible about wives being submissive to their husbands as he is the head of the household. The Lord helped you to see the way, not the sign which was blinding to you from seeing greater things, like what your husband could do for the Church.
11/18/06
Great article. I think God brought you there so YOU could take down that sign. I would have been put off by it as well (I grew up having to wear dresses to church, but finally convinced Mom it wasn't a requirement -but I tend to wear both now, anyway...)

I loved the imagery of feeling like you were drowning and how you had to rely on your husband (and God) to pull you up.
Interesting how you weaved the subject of lifeguard being your husband. I would have preferred if your last sentence would have kept your husband in the present tense. You state that you are happy but then you say he had been your lifeguard. I suspect he still is. Great job.
11/21/06
A delightful story. I always say that, so often, we go kicking and screaming toward our greatest good. I liked the analogy of your husband being like a lifeguard, tenderly leading you in to shore, even while you're panicked and can't find your way. That's how it is, sometimes. It's funny how being submissive is so much easier with a compassionate leader like your husband. Great job...and best of luck in that little church!