The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 725 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/22/14
Wow! This one gave me chills! Excellent job. I always have hope that during the millennium the lost will still have a chance to be "saved."

Loved this. Well done!

God bless~
05/27/14
Chilling!

This pulls the reader right into the story with recounting of the experience. Well done!
Wow this is a powerful story. I found myself trembling as I read. You did an outstanding job of bringing your characters to life.

I've often heard experts say not to begin with dialog because it doesn't give the reader a chance to visualize the setting. I don't always agree, but in this story, I think a brief introduction might have helped me relate a bit sooner. This is just an example to show you what I mean: With my head down, my eyes dart around the room. I take a deep breath and am positive I can smell the grief and guilt oozing from each member who is sitting in the half circle. I jump a little when the leader calls my name. Twisting the tissue in my hand, I force myself to look up. Once more I inhale, but this time I start to share my story.

It's not perfect, but I hope it shows what I mean by establishing the setting as well as giving the reader a peek into the MC's emotions. You do an excellent job with the dialog. I can feel the pain of the MC and even a touch of pity from the others. You did a great job of nailing the topic in a fresh and creative way. All kinds of emotions and thoughts tumbled out of me as I read. You did an incredible job with this one.